55g reef, i need some ideas...

1990jpyj

ok so this week i plan on getting my 55g into a reef. so far this is what i have:
1 55g tank(+1 years old)
1 marineland 400 filter
1 seaclone 150 skimmer(works perfect for me)
65#s LR
and a few few smaller fish:
2 cardinals
1 clown
2 firefish
on the 14th my new liek comes in. its a
48" HL 4X54W IR fixture, hopfully this one dosnt melt on me(stupid Nova)
now finally for my question:
what types of corals should i keep with this type of lighting. in the future i would like to maybe upgrade the lighting(even though i just bought one) to a MH fixture. but that would be in like 3 or 4 years. mainly to keep an anenome. but until then what types could i keep saftly?
this week i plan on buying new test kits to test all the items needed for a reef. i just dont know what i should keep. there are a few things i would really like to try but im not 100% sure that i can do it:
zoo's mixture of them i want lots of color
Frogspawn
xenia-i know they spread like crazy but there so cool
Toadstool
i know that some of these might be inpossible or they might not be. i am really open to ideas for what to do. im just not sure what i can keep with this type of lighting.
thanks

darkjedv

Honestly I would suggest starting with softies and working your way up...xenia, green star polyps, mushrooms, and colt coral to begin with. An anenome and corals shouldn't be mixed in a tank. You might want to plan a different tank for each. If your looking for something for your clown to host in he might dig the xenia like mine does.

C

cmaxwell39

With 4 individually reflected T5HO bulbs on a 55 you should be able to keep softies and LPS. You might even be able to keep some of the less light demanding SPS depending on placement. All of the corals that you have listed will do just fine under that light. Just remember that lighting is only one of the factors to keeping corals successfully. They also require good water quality. Good luck and welcome to a whole new addiction (corals will eat up more and more of your saltwater budget if you are like most reefkeepers.)

1990jpyj

yea i kinda figured it would take a whole lot more money. i have got a lot of reasearch to do before i even buy my first coral. now could i be able to keep a clam in my tank if it is like halfway up? i read somewhere that sombody keep it there and it did eally well?
thanks