55g reef lighting

redqueen

Hi, my name is Jay and I'm new to the board. Picking out lighting for 55g reef and I don't want to be limited to what I can have. Aqua Light Pro 48 is the first choice at this point. I have two questions maybe someone can help with; It is advertised with a width of 15 inches so will it fit on a 55g? Also, the total wattage is 492(MH=300,PC=192) some people have told me that is TOO much light for a 55 gallon tank while others have said it would be great! Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some help!

the reef

I would say that is to little of light you need at the lest for fish 2-3 watts per gallon, and 4-5 watts per gallon for reef aquarium.

T

thomas712

8.9 watts per gallon would be good enough to keep many things and the halides would help any coral you place on the bottom of the tank.
Are there two 150 watt MH bulbs in this kit? How are you going to mount them? Standard hood? You may need a custom hood with the halides to keep them well above the water column.
Thomas

redqueen

Thanks for the replies.
Thomas712, yes I believe everything is included. It's a full hood setup complete with MH bulbs, 2 power compacts, 3 lunar lights and built in cooling fans. Also comes with easy mounting brackets for over the tank installation. It says the width of the unit is 15 inches so I'm still a little confused on if that will fit on a 55 gallon tank. I also like that it has 3 power cords for each type of lighting.(timers)
As long as it fits and I'm not over doing it with the watts, I think it will be a great addition.

thegrog

I think it would make for a great reef.
As for the width, that may be the overall width of the unit. The reflectors and bulbs probably do not take up that much width so I would think you would be set. Cutting it close, but set.

teresaq1

hi, welcome, that would be great light, just hard to get into tank, you would have to take it off when you wanted to work in the tank, unless you get the brackets that are hinged.

minchman

Aqualight Pro Sells A Hanging Kit That Is Adjustable Up To 36". I Have One One A 55 And It Works Great.

redqueen

Okay, Aqualight Pro 48 is on order and should be in by the weekend. Saw it in person today, very sleek. Legs flip inwards to fit 12.5 inch width of a 55g. I'll just have watch the heat and if it becomes a problem I'll hang it like MinchMan(cool setup by the way).
Thanks to everyone.