55g sum question

osuaquarist

I just got my 55g that I will turn into a sump. It is glass, Can I use acrylic for the baffles or will it not seal to the glass with silicon? I was thinking of getting some acrylic at lowes and buying a saw to cut it myself (Which saw and blade is best?) (Would this be cheaper than paying a company to cut 6 acrylic/glass panels?)
What kind of sealant should I use for the baffles if I can use acrylic?
Thanks!
-Alex

gatorwpb

I paid my LFS to turn a 20g long into my fuge. It was pretty cheap because they already had the equipment. My baffles are glass and silicone is used to seal them.
I believe that you can use acrylic for the baffles, just not sure what youd use to install them.
Its always more rewarding to do it yourself. I bet it would be cheaper too. Ive heard where people get their baffles cut for them out of glass by a company and then do the rest themselves. Thats probably what I would do for the sump of my next tank.

osuaquarist

Thanks for the reply, I know I can use glass but I think it might be kind of expensive to have the pieces cut. I would love to know if I can use acrylic on glass so i can get this in the works tonight! Thanks guys!

osuaquarist

I found this site where this guy used epdm weather stripping around the baffles to create the seals instead of silicone. This looks like it would be easier and less of a mess. Does anyone know if it could possibly be harmful overtime to the water chemistry?

matt b

It WILL work. BUT it will not last over time. They will slowly lose seal and then break/fall over time.

teresaq

I had the glass for my 55 cut for about 15 bucks. How many do you need and what size. I have some left over.
T

natclanwy

Glass is inexpensive depending on where you live but Acrylic will work fine. Silicone does not bond to acrylic very well so you have to put a large bead on each side of the panel so that it creates slot for the panel to sit in. My last sump was up for about 3 years and it took me an hour to get the panels out so I could redesign my sump. If done right they should last.