55g Sump/Refuge Design help.

unknown

Sump.png
Hey guys, I'm going to start building my sump/refuge out of a spare 55g I have this weekend and drew up a quick sketch on Paint to see if anyone has any tweek n peek ideas or suggestions before I start cutting and wasting material. It's in Paint so bare with me.

Thanks for the help in advance.

unknown

The 10" peice that is the front wall of the Fuge will be 10" long but will still only rise 8" from the bottom of the tank. After looking at the drawing it might be a little misleading.

Thanks again

Vince.

snakeblitz33

Hi there!

With a 55g being such a nice size for a sump, I suggest making one side a refugium and the other side a skimmer section and the middle a return pump chamber. That way, you can have a lot more volume in the refugium than just 8" tall.

Are you going to have an auto top off unit?

duane C

im going to need 9" for my protein skimmer so I will make adjustments to the heights..and the refugium will have black Plexiglas around it. thank you for the drawing was very helpful.... will post pics after its built this weekend...

unknown

Not sure about a top off unit yet Snake. I'm sure eventually I will add one though. Also I am drilling the sump for a 1" bulkhead that will supply the return pump and I'm not sure if the Pan World pump can draw suction to all me to put the return chamber in the center of the sump, and my stand won't accomidate running 1" pipe behined the sump, there just isn't enough room.

Duane glad the diagram could help.

Vince.