55gal 4 months old ?'s

dizzle

Hey guys and girls,
I'm new to the forum and have some questions about my 55. I have 40lbs of crushed coral as a substrate. I plan on adding either live sand or argonite to the cc. Is it ok to mix them? Also I have the emporer 400 on my tank for the filter, is this good or bad. Right now I have 4 fish and one hermit with about 20lbs live rock. Plan on turning it into a reef tank when I get a better light. I'm thinking the coralife aqualight with the moon bulbs. Would this be a good light to go with? When I get the better light should I remove my plexiglass tops and leave the light elavated above the aquarium so it will make glitter lines? I have the visi therm protein skimmer 30-60 gallon. Is this an ok skimmer to have or will I need to upgrade later on? Well i hope somebody can help me out.
Thanks
Adam :happyfish

dizzle

Aslo what are the advantages of having a fuge. I would like to set one up later on down the line. would a 20 gal tall be suitable for a fuge? What are they exactley?
Adam

mmcheeto

Hello
I have a fug and can tell you that they are a must have.
Fug is short for Refugeum
Refugeum = Place of refuge
This is a safe haven for benificial critters like copepods and plants like colerpa to thrive. Its the spot where your circle of life come together.
My fuge is a section of my sump. I have plantlife such as colerpa and some snails with a light that runs 24/7 . The colerpa feed off of waste or byproducts from the main tank that would normally contribute to any nitrite spike. The snails keep the acrylic clean from algie and there is a 4" dsb. This is a copepod factory.
THere are many ways to make a fug but the basics are a seperate tank that shares the same water flow with the main tank that is a haven for critters that would normally get eaten in the main. I recomend it but then it may not be something you want to do. . Anywyas hope that helps