55gal Noob startup

user3977

Well here goes, I have been running a fresh water 55gal tank for a few years. got a few guppys in it then that idea went south when i noticed that i had a few dozen in it about 2 months latter, then up to maybe 15 dozen, finally got rid of them to friends and what not. i still have a pleco and loach to pass off once that is done i am going to switch to saltwater. I know there is a lot i have to learn and would like to start here by asking a ton of questions. I would like to have some live rock and maybe 4 clowns and 4 other fish that are compatible with them. plus some shrimp and crabs.
1. My tank has no built-in overflow setup, Can i drill into the bottom and build my own setup? Tempered glass, i dont think so but my father says that if you take it slow you can drill into it.
2. RO/DI = I read what it is and what it does, but where do you find a system? is this Needed? i talked to the lfs and not once did they mention this. we do have a petsmart that has i think 1 or 2 gal saltwater for 9.99 i would need at least 60-70 gallons of this stuff and not sure if that is a good route to go.
3. Lighting, i see there is so many choices in that department. i was looking at taking a normal shop light and putting 2 48" 10k lights from my lfs in it. and suspend it above the tank about 6-8 inches. I might even break out the polishing gear and shine up the reflector part of it to help get more light down onto the tank. what do you think about that whole light setup?
4. Filters i have a 10 gal i have been looking into turnning into a wet/dry setup. think i have that all figured out
5. Protein skimmer, lost here, no idea what to do or use on it. i have read that if i build an overflow box that it would act like a skimmer. is this a line of bs or will this work.
6. tank covers, i see most sw tanks have no covers over them. would it be bad to put a cover on them? also the w/d filter cover or no cover (lol light or no light)
well i think that will hold me over for a few days while i build the w/d filter. i will have more questions to the responses and will post up pic's as i get stuff going. thank you in advance for your time and patience's in my questions.

wangotango

Welcome to the boards
55's are great size tanks, but can be a pain to aquascape because they're so narrow. I'll try to answer all of your questions.
1) I would not try to drill the tank, especially the bottom. You're better off either buying a new tank, or buying an overflow box that you mount on the tank. One box that drains 600gph will be enough.
2) A RO/DI unit is a must IMO. You will get the purest water, which will be a long-term benefit for your tank. You can buy them online. The Filter Guys have awsome units at great prices.
3) Standard output fluorescent bulbs will not allow you to keep coral. If you're interested in keeping fish and liverock only, then they will be fine. I would suggest against the shoplight, as it will probably rust and corrode over time. If you are interested in keeping coral, I'd suggest looking into either a four or five bulb T5ho fixture.
4) I'm assuming that since you want the tank drilled, you want a sump/fuge underneath. In which case you don't need a power or canister filter, as your skimmer, fuge, and liverock will filter the tank. A 10gal tank would be fine, but I think you'd be cramped for space, so I'd suggest something a little larger.
5) A protein skimmer injects air in to a water filled cylider. As the water and air rise to the surface, proteins and other organic wastes adhear to the bubbles. Once the bubbles reach the surface they form a foam, spill into the collection cup, turn into a liquid which is discarded. A good in-sump model that would work well is the Aqua-C Urchin.
6) Don't use any covers. People leave them on to try to prevent evaporation, but evaporation is actually a good thing. An open tank also helps with gas exchange. If you plan on keeping fish that are known to jump, an few sheets of eggcrate will be fine.
-Justin

2cold2fish

I would be careful switching to saltwater if the freshwater tank was dosed with copper. I have heard this can be a problem.

apos

Yep, copper stays in the glass. You can keep saltwater fish, but your inverts and liverock might keep mysteriously withering and dying...
9.99 for 2 gallons of pure water is outrageously ridiculous. There are many other far far cheaper sources of water even if you don't get an RO/DI unit for yourself.
For a sump, try to find a 20 gal long that fits under there, or even a 30 gal long if there would be any way to get it in there. Keep in mind that your sump will be the place where the water level changes: not only do you want to have room for stuff, but enough room for several gallons worth of water to rise and lower as water evaporates from the system. If you don't have enough room in the section where your return pump is to keep a couple of gallons ABOVE where the return pump intake is, you'll be running dry every couple of hours. :)

user3977

1st not going to drill the tank, looked into a DIY over flow box. anyone make one? i am looking at using 3/4 inch PVPsch40 90's to carry water from tank to drain. is 3/4 to big or not big enough?
I will look into the RO/DI unit untill then i just noticed one of my LFS has premade saltwater for $0.66 a gal. i know i could pay for the RO unit pretty fast if i keep buying water but i figure i need to start somewhere.
I am not looking into sarting with coral and once i feel that i will not kill every thing i touch in the tank i might make the move to a larger tank and then go coral

emtguy

Can't drill temp. glass.
I get my DI water from the culligen man in my town, Just find someone with a dispenser and ask for the number. call em, get directions and go by and pick up H20. Its 6.00 for 5 gallons here.
p.s Culligan does sale DI water. They just dont bottle it they outsource it. (atleast in my town)

user3977

Originally Posted by emtguy
Can't drill temp. glass.
I get my DI water from the culligen man in my town, Just find someone with a dispenser and ask for the number. call em, get directions and go by and pick up H20. Its 6.00 for 5 gallons here.
p.s Culligan does sale DI water. They just dont bottle it they outsource it. (atleast in my town)

no offense but at that price it would be cheaper to pay the $0.66 a gal for the premix saltwater to get it started and hopefully have the rest of the setup before it gets to low

teresaq

I would go with the premixed. I also buy it from my lfs, though it does get old hauling it home.
Good luck with your tank. A 55 was my first, and within a yr I upgraded to a 150.

elitsoh

if i went to the 50 gal range ..id go 50 breeder cause of the width of the tank ...i agree a 55 would be really hard to scape..but good luck on your tank

snipe

My rule of thumb after starting with a 55 is go with a 75 instead. Same footprnit just alittle thicker across the middle lol. Makes for aquascaping easier.