55gal setup

magooo2

I have set up a 55 gal FO tank. I would like to stock this tank with pecula clowns only. Is there a rule of thumb as too how many I can place in the tank. I dont want to make the mistake and overstock. Could they be added at the same time or slowly due to bio load. Thanks in advance.:happy:

fishytim

I know most people have a mated pair. Why do you only want clown fish? With a 55 you could have some other smaller fish and some real cool inverts

pblrdom

i started about 4 months ago with the same idea.
i have since then gone to a 50g with variety.
if you are set on clowns no more that 2 in the same tank, they will fight and kill each other!!!

magooo2

It was just an idea because of the love of the fish by my daughter. (No Nemo Story)
If a mated pair is the case...how does one go about getting a "mated pair". Are they sold as that ???

sula

You can buy a mated pair, but many people do it themselves - if you look in the "clownfish and anemones" area you'll find many many threads describing pairing up clowns. As near as I can tell, the only really tricky type is the Maroon Clown, but people have had success with those as well.
Hey Magoo, where are you at in Wisconsin? I know of an LFS near by with a mated pair of six-line wrasse - only $400 !!!

sula

No, it really was $400.00 - my response was "well, maybe just the goby this time"....LOL