5th Day update, hows my water?

Hey guys,
Well it has been 5 days since i put in the live rock and now the water specs are:
Ammonia: 0.125
ALK: Normal-High
Ph: 8.1
No2: .80
No3: 40
Water Temp: 83
Salinity 1.019
And calcium: 350
How is my tank doing?
Thanks,
Mike

justinx

I know that you just set this up, but you numbers are off . . . way off from normal. however, for a 5 day old tank, i would say that they are about where they should be expected. I would test it again in one week.
What salt are you using? Your pH is a little low, as is your salinity. Try to bring the salinity up to about .023-.025. and pH should be around 8.3. Other than that, i wouldnt even worry about any of the other numbers until your ammonia is at zero and stays there for a week.
But you're on the right track! Keep it up!

tlk

Try to bring the salinity up to about .023-.025
I thought specific gravity shouldn't get higher than 1.023. Can someone please advise?

justinx

Actually, natural sea water in the vincinity of most coral reefs is around 35ppt, or roughly converted, about .025. I think that if you search around here, you will find that many people keep their reef tanks at .025 Personally, i have noticed a difference in coral health as well as animal behavior once i raised salinity from .023 to .025 Others on this BB have also stated that they had better luck even with little things such as snails staying on the glass when the salinity was closer to levels found in NSW.
For FO tanks, the rules are slightly different. It is more widely accepted to have a lower salinity, and the reason being, at least as far as I can understand is that the lowered salinity levels make it harder for fish parasites to live. This is also the same reason why many people put diseased fish into hyposalinity treatments.
Try doing a search around the board, or if you like, post a poll. I think that you will find that there are many people, including myself who keep their reef tanks around .025, maybe even .026. I too have heard that .023 is the limit, but I believe that this is from LFS employees who are more concerned with disease outbreaks in fish, but are also interested in keeping their invertebrates alive. .023 I am going to guess is a median between the two.