6 gallon reef tank?

infanterene

I have a 6 gal. eclipse tank and a mighty might light lying around. The lfs said I could add some LS and LR from my other tank and make a tiny reef tank. No fish, just a few corrals.
He said that the might mights actually have like 45 watts. What do you guys think?

G

glazer

I say GO FER IT! Just beware though, nano's get real addictive... (personally I need help,hehe) The mini-mights I believe have two 9 watt pc's in them, should be more than adequate for shrooms, star polyps, zoo's, pritty much all softies.
Pic of one of my little tanks... 2.5 gallons.

rockster

Glazer, I am impressed with your nano. I would like to try one myself. Please tell me details of your set-up...such as lighting, filtration, water changes, maintenance (additives and frequency). Thanks.

G

glazer

Thanks Rockster...
Well it's a pretty simple setup. I have 2 13 watt PC's on it, one 10K and one actinic. Photoperiod is 10 hours. I have a AquaClear Mini HOB for circulation, NO media in it. 4 lbs of live rock and 4lbs of live sand take care of filtration. The heater you see in the pic is a MiniThermal 25 watt... I have it set on 80 and tank temp never fluctuates in the slightest. My makeup water is supplied by a IV drip system hanging stage right,hehe.
Water changes are 1 quart once a week. I am not a big proponent of additives in tanks (of really any size) but since this tank was just set up on a whim, now becoming my fave I decided to try something different. I have been using SeaLab's No 28 blocks in it. I haven't tested anything in the last month or so as by eye everything seems way healthy. I was testing before and the blocks seemed to be keeping Calc/alk and pH all right inline. Of course you couldn't call it much of a testimonial I suppose, I only have 2 gallons of water in it total and replace a quart of that weekly... I was more considered about all the rest of the trace elements being depleted rapidly due to such heavy stocking on such a small system.
I have 4 small astrea snails and two blue-leg hermits in there for clean up. Have a small yet unidentified crab that was a hitcher, tons of pods, bristleworms and back glass is slowly being covered by tons of small tubeworms. Hmmm, I think I covered everything....lol
Good luck with your nano, they are indeed a blast.

zack schwartz

Glazer wow I also have a 2.5 expect mine is a hex I have a 13 watt pc as werll and don't use a heater temp at 78. Hey how u fit all that in a tank I mean my god!!!!!!:eek: