6-line vs. emerald crab

jacrmill

will my 6 line kill my emerald crabs? I didnt think they would, but when I put my crabs in there, the 6 line picked at them for a minute. So i fed the fish to divert his attention, and I havent seen him pestering them anymore. But ive seen the fish swim near the crabs and they always move to a hiding place really quick. What do you guys think, am I worried for no reason, or is my 6 line going to have an expensive dinner?
Also there is a hermit crabs dead body floating around. how do I know if its a molt? it has some white on the end of it, which makes me think it is not a molt, but a dead crab. would a fish kill a crab and then not eat it?

jacrmill

any ideas on how it would have died? My water always tests perfect. tank inhabitants are royal gramma, 6 line, was 10 scarlet hermits, 8 snails and now 2 emerald crabs, but the hermit died before the emerald crabs were put in....I just dont know what would kill it and not eat it.

coraljunky

When hermits die, they jump ship(de-shell). Do you keep any empty shells in the tank? Hermits cant grow their own shell, hence the name hermit crab. It could have been another hermit trying to steal the shell.

jacrmill

yeah, there are quite a few extra shells. maybe a hermit just decided he really liked one that was already occupied. maybe ill get some more shells too. thanks for the help

jacha66

I saw one of my scarlets going after another for his shell. went right out to my lfs and got various size emptys.

im almost sure that they molt
Originally Posted by coraljunky
My sixline never bothered anything in my tank. No, hermits dont molt.