6-Line Wrasse Behavior

kibe

I have aa 55-gal. tank which I have been treating with copper for 10 days. My latest addition to the tank is a 6-line Wrasse 10 days ago. There are no signs of ick, fungus, warts, mucus, disease. But this little guy seems to have difficulty swimming. Hangs around the bottom, curled sometimes. Doesn't seem to swim easily, but with some difficulty. Interested in food, but doesn't eat well. Is it in trouble??? Help!!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you were talking about anything but a wrasse, I'd say, yes, you have trouble. However, wrasses pretty much DO hang around the bottom, often hiding away, frequently burried in the substrate. If you didn't know better, many times you'd think they were dead. They can be shy fish, so the difficulty you are preceiving, may just be that some shyness is going on. You didn't say why you are doing a copper treatment?? Copper depletes the oxgyen levels in the tank, and marine fish needs LOT of oxgyen. If you are treating this wrasse for some reason other than obvious parasite investation, then stop doing this. Add more air to your tank by dropping some airstones in the water. Get that water circulating and more o2 going and see if behavior improves. Wrasses like to come out at night when the lights are off, and will frequently bury themselves in the sand at other times. Is your substrate deep enough to allow this fish to bury which is his natural way doing things? If not, then give him some more sand! Good luck!

kibe

Dear Beth, Thank you for your reply.I've had this tank about 13 mos. and am hooked on the subj.! Every new addition causes concern,especially when they are as pretty as this wrasse.I have an airstone I'll hook up in the am.I treated the tank because of a particularly brutish tomato clown that had my gang on the run. Have stopped treatment. I notice that all the fish are fine except the wrasse.It still isn't eating well. Thanks for your help.

kibe

Dear Beth, Thank you for your reply.I've had this tank about 13 mos. and am hooked on the subj.! Every new addition causes concern,especially when they are as pretty as this wrasse.I have an airstone I'll hook up in the am.I treated the tank because of a particularly brutish tomato clown that had my gang on the run. Have stopped treatment. I notice that all the fish are fine except the wrasse.It still isn't eating well. Thanks for your help.

youbetyourwrasse

Hi Kibe.
Beth is right about wrasses burying, however the 6-line is among the ones that do not. (Genera Pseudocheilinus, Thalassoma, and Labroides among others seek shelter amongst the rocks). This little guy is quite shy and will have trouble competing with assertive feeders. He needs LR with lots of hiding places to feel secure. Wrasses will often "curl" up when they are trying to hide but have nowhere to go. Hanging around the bottom amongst the rockwork is normal. They are not fond of swimming, unless they have to!

Hope he is better.
Darlene.

kibe

Hi, Juvi...Thanks for the update on my wrasse. It's still not eating, that I can tell, altho it appears as if it is. What is "LR"? Sorry if I'm missing something elementary. I've put in an aerator, varied the food, etc. Now am debating about a water change but don't want to mess up copper level established until the copper cycle complete.What can I feed this little guy to tempt him? Thanks.