60 gallon tank... how many more fish? powder blue tang?

ghost2kill

I know its important to know system so here's mine...2 200 marineland biowheel filters rated 100 gallons combined....60 pounds live sand...48 pounds live premiem live Fiji rock.... instant ocean 100 gallon rated skimmer... stable conditions... so far I only have 1 false percula clown....how many more fish? I know to add them slowly... can I add a powder bluetang? ***** said 30 gallons, a few sites said 55 gallons and I read they need much more... could I add one more smaller fish and this tang and be done?

nicetry

Your tank is really not suited to a PB tang. They are good sized active fish that are prone to aggression. This is worse in a smaller system. Very difficult fish to maintain, even for many experienced hobbyists. I'd add another clown of the same species. If this is a FOWLR, one of the hardy dwarf angels would be nice. You could go with a bottom dwelling goby of some type and a pair of flasher wrasses. You'd have a colorful active tank with enough room for everyone to be happy. Stay away from larger active fish that need a lot of open swimming room.

jdstank

Like nicetry stated, large tangs need more room to roam. Generally that means a minimum 125 gallons. The pigmy angels do make great tank mates for clowns. If you intend to add coral down the road try one of the easier-going pigmy's like a Vroloki (usually labeled as a half black angelfish in most stores - scientific is Centropyge vroliki). They tend to leave most corals alone - a few might get a taste for brain coral down the road but mine leaves all my softies and sps corals alone and has actually take to eating flake really well. She still keeps the rock really clean of algae but is always the first at the top on days I'm feeding flake.

srfisher17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost2Kill http:///forum/thread/384118/60-gallon-tank-how-many-more-fish-powder-blue-tang#post_3363901
I know its important to know system so here's mine...2 200 marineland biowheel filters rated 100 gallons combined....60 pounds live sand...48 pounds live premiem live Fiji rock.... instant ocean 100 gallon rated skimmer... stable conditions... so far I only have 1 false percula clown....how many more fish? I know to add them slowly... can I add a powder bluetang? ***** said 30 gallons, a few sites said 55 gallons and I read they need much more... could I add one more smaller fish and this tang and be done?
***** says 30 gals, why doesn't that surprise me? I'd complain to the Mgr, but that's probably who you were talking to. A major online dealer recently changed their suggested "minimum tank sizes" and says 100 gal for a PBT. I assume that is the 6' 100 gal tank; even with the change, IMO & IME, is really too small for an adult PBT.