60" light on a 72" FOWLR tank?

I just set a 125 and i am using the light from my 55. It is a 48" 4 bulb T5 light and it is working fine. Its FOWLR for me so it really depends on what you plan on keeping. Picks......
This one was taken right after the water was added. Still very cloudly..

This one was taken after it was all cleared up.

This is just a cool shot but it shows how the light is distributed pretty well...

In my opinion if you dont plan on keeping corals and such then there is no reason to spend a fortune on lighting. IMO though
Also right now there is no hood on my tank. The light pretty much lights up my whole living room & dining room. Once I build the hood it should keep much more light in the tank were it belongs.

matt b

Originally Posted by 987654321
http:///forum/post/2482364
I just set a 125 and i am using the light from my 55. It is a 48" 4 bulb T5 light and it is working fine. Its FOWLR for me so it really depends on what you plan on keeping. Picks......
This one was taken right after the water was added. Still very cloudly..

This one was taken after it was all cleared up.

This is just a cool shot but it shows how the light is distributed pretty well...

In my opinion if you dont plan on keeping corals and such then there is no reason to spend a fortune on lighting. IMO though
Also right now there is no hood on my tank. The light pretty much lights up my whole living room & dining room. Once I build the hood it should keep much more light in the tank were it belongs.
cool decoration!!!

brandan

Originally Posted by reefer32
http:///forum/post/2482731
wow, now you really have me thinking!
that doesn't look bad at all

I don't think you will have a problem with it. that is only 6" on each side, and the light will spread decently well outwards also. Besides, it will help keep down on algae with less light, and it is only FOWLR, I wouldn't worry about it.

Personally I think it looks ok. Im not into keeping corals and such. And the fish seem to have plenty of light.

C

curve

I'm having the same delima. I have 2 6ft tanks but one of them the light is 18" above the water. I wanted to know if I could use a 60" or even a 48" for that tank?? Would it work for me as well. The other tank the light is only 6 to 8" above the water surface.

B

bonita69

That tank is so sick even the cloudy pic was SWEET!!! Very well done LOVE THE SHIP how cool would that be having corals growing off of that bad boy! Can't wait to see fishes it this tank Please keep us posted! Put a background on it to finish the deal!! Black would be nice!

E

emeralcrab

I have a 48" Sunpod MH 2- 250w over my 150g. You can have corals if you have the right type of lighting, you just put them under the light and not off to the sides. I actual like the way my tank looks with the sides being darker and the middle being bright.

Originally Posted by bonita69
http:///forum/post/2485057
That tank is so sick even the cloudy pic was SWEET!!! Very well done LOVE THE SHIP how cool would that be having corals growing off of that bad boy! Can't wait to see fishes it this tank Please keep us posted! Put a background on it to finish the deal!! Black would be nice!
Im haveing a piece ofg black acrylic cut for the back. I couldnt bring myself to paint the back of this brand new tank.. Its should be ready next week.

g13

@987654321
You just saved me some $$.
I also was thinking if I can get away with a 48" fixture on a 6' tank and was wondering how the ends would look without direct light over it. Thanks for the pics, I'll be looking to get a 6 bulb fixture probably the tek or maybe the ATI. I only have a couple of questions for you....
1. What type of fixture are you using?
2. Are those the stock legs that it came with or what type of legs are you using. I was under the understandment that the legs could only be used if the fixture reached the end of the tank.
Thanks,
Gabriel

E

emeralcrab

On my tank I just used the stock legs, they sit on the glass top, most of the weight is on the ends which the glass top is sitting on the side glass, so I don't think there is to much weight. I guess it would also depend on how thick your glass top is. I am going to suspend my lights down the road, it is just we have high ceilings and then they slant also, so haven't quite figured out to do it. Plus there is a big bull moose right above my tank.

My lighting is a SunPod Pro 2 250w. Don't know what his is.

My lights are an off brand. Not sure who makes it. The legs mount on a rail type system that is on the back. you can ajust the legs anywere you need them. They were a steel at $100 bucks shipped