???????

cj

100 GAL. TANK
175 LBS. OF LIVE ROCK
LOTS OF HAIR ALGE.:mad:
I JUST BOUGHT 100 HERMET CRABS TO EAT IT.
DO YOU THINK THIS WILL WORK ?
IF IT DOES NOT WORK, I WILL HAVE A BIG SALE:(

entice59

i got 15 hermits for my 15 gallon... did it get rid of the hair algae?.... they work very very slow

fshhub

get your snails and crabs, tehn pull much of it yourself, eventually you will catch up to it. but if it is bad, they will need your help.

rescue

I'am fighting a hair algea problem also right now and have found that mexican turbo snails work the best by far. I have a 65 gallon reef, I added 12 mexican turbos 2 days ago and my problem is almost gone, I also used a soft tooth brush to remove heavy spots.

rescue

no I did not remove the rock but I did clean all my filters and did a 20% water change inconjunction with the new cleaning crew

dburr

Take your caps lock off please.
What kind of top off water do you use?
Have you checked for phosphates?
How much do you feed?
What kind of food?
Whats in your tank?
You need to find the root of the problem to find the remedy.
Hermits are a band-aid. Then they will kill the snails and turn on each other. Then the hair will come back and the cycle goes around again. I'm not trying to sound negitive (but doing a great job of it) but you need to test the water. "All levels are great" is pretty wide open. Can you post the results?
HTH

nerdy

I always had heard that a rule of thumb was to have 2 hermits per gallon and that will get rid of hair algae! Anyway I did this when I had a problem years back and they took care of my hair algae within a week. They usually will kill each other off with time so you don't have to worry about having to many on your bio load. Also usually poor lighting creates hair algae so you might want to check your bulbs to see if they have the right spectrum or if they have used up all thier life!