65 coralife super skimmer need help

sharkbait9

Ok i went and got a 65gal coralife super skimmer and i need help. its been running for about and hr. i have the needle wheel pump 2 1/2 inch deep and the bubble difffuser set with the lip 1/4 above the water line with the output elbow cut 1" above the (white) filter pad but i'm still getting micro bubbles coming out. its producing white foam but the foam is not "foaming over" into the cup. So any one who has one of these skimmers and knows how to set it up brand new and get it to work right i guess or any mods to make it work better then normal. I have read all the reveiws about the coralife skimmer and so being that its so great i got it but i really need help with this.

W

winstew

Try lowering the pump another 1/2" to 1". I just set mine up today but haven't ran any water through it yet... Also it said in the booklet it might take up to 3 days to adjust to the water its in with relation to flow and what not. Also see if your connections are tight... they might be sucking in more air than the thing can handle..... Hope this helps.

turningtim

All new skimmers take a couple of days to break in. Keep adjusting so it doesn't overflow but be patient. It will work, give it time.
Actually I'd love to hear how it works when it gets going.......
HTH
Tim

sharkbait9

I read it may take 72 hrs to break in but once it breaks in, will the micro bubles go away?how do you "tweak them" nd know its working. After its broke in and i have tweaked it does the skimmer just build up and after a while it kinda like pushes the foam over as its building up. how do you know you tweaked it right? If its as good as every one says it is and i get the reaction i'm looking for i will give it a ringing endorsment :cheer:

turningtim

The stuff the skimmer produces is called skimmate. Yes as it builds it will overflow into the collect cup. It will be dark green to black in color and will be the NASTIEST VILE smelling stuff your have ever encountered. If you are getting micros in the return water then you need to adjust the air down.
Trust me you'll know when its working.......
I have heard nothing but good things about this skimmer so I think your in good shape.
Tim

misty927

I just purchased this skimmer a couple of days ago but have yet to set it up. I'll let you guys know my experience once I do...

chipmaker

Your in too much of a hurry., Give it time to "break in"
The more the pump is submerged under the water the less air bubbles and more water will be pushed into the skimmer. After a certain depth controling the flow into the skimer gets hard to regulate, as you wind up with too much water, and not sufficieint air bubbles to get a proper height on the water inthe skimmer. I would not place it any deeper than 2 or 3 inches and in all reality I would place it as high in the water column as possible, up to the point that when water in tank needs topping off its not low enough to suck in air or make a whirlpool from the surface....(usually abut 1") from pump inlet to surface works for me.

delira5cal

We bought the same exact skimmer about 2 weeks ago and had the same problem. Give it time to break in the bubbles will go away. It is working very well for us so far. Hang in there.

tinydove

Is this a "QUIET" skimmer or does it make a ton of noise? I am in need of a new one and was just wondering. Thanks all.

chipmaker

I have 5 of them in use and yu can;'t hear any of them. My 12 volt fans running on 6 and 7.5 volts make much more noise.......and they are low db fans. The skimmers are very quiet.
The outflow tube / elbow needs to be positioned at or slightly above the tanks highest water level, not an inch above the white filter pad. It also helps to place another layer of filter batting in the diffuser box, preferably the MArineland blue/white media as its double density and does a super job of eliminating any bubbles that may escape. ALso make sure your sponges and filter bat n the diffuser box are a snug fit and no gaps

deepcdv

How big are the tanks that you all are using the coralife 65's on? I have a 60 gallon and wonder whether it would be sufficient (you know how the manufacturer ratings go). I know they make a 125 model but it requires 8" between the wall and the tank, I have 6" clearance and moving the tank out would really suck. :notsure:

sharkbait9

i'll post a pic of it running and set up and let me know from the the pics what i can do diffrently ot mod it. it seems to be breaking in now but the mico bubbles are really a pain in the a( ( i mean the bubbles are bad like to the point that i really want to throw this thing out and buy diffrent one. I'm going to try the media that was mentioned and see if that will help cure some of the micros. i know have the water dial turned to all most completely open but not yet. i had to keep tweeking it the water levels were set liek the intructions said and then today the water level slowly droped so i kinda figured it was breaking in and to turn the gate open a little and rest the water levels and it once in a while i see a glob of white foam working its way up the cone. but then again my nitrates are reading is 20 so i don't know all i can ever read is as low as poss. So now i'm running to micro socks filled with denitrate that was just added about 3 hrs ago so i'll take a reading monday and see what happens. My common green shrooms seem to be happy.
oh and yeah it is real quite but you can hear a vaccum at sound at night very faint but i can hear it so to cure it i added another piece of air line tubing to the other

[hr]
and that really made it quite with out any ill effects, so i can sleep

dw62

I had the same problem with mine for about a week. I ended up putting a piece of sponge filter under the bubble diffuzer until it brok in completely. It did help some, but did not completely remove all bubbles. Have had it about 4 weeks now and the bubbles are gone and I no longer use the sponge.

misty927

Well, mine's been up and running now for about four days. The first two days, I could barely turn the water level up without it overflowing. It was also not producing any sort of foam. I ended up cutting the tubing in the bubble diffuser a couple of inches. After that, I was getting tons of microbubbles for a day. They have since gone away and as of yesterday, I am getting skimmate. I was a little disappointed at first, but I guess it just needed a little tweaking and as it says, to "break-in."

sharkbait9

Well day five and everything seems to be in order the micro bubs has slowed down alot tweeked the sponges a little and it has helped a lot. here are some pics of it running.

chadman

i am looking at this skimmer...from all the talk i am afraid to get a protien skimmer it seems like a lot of stuff to go wrong!