65 gallon aggressive- should I bother?

a&m '96

I've got a 65 gallon w/an Eheim cannister, prizm skimmer, a power head, crushed coral substrate, and a UV. This is my first marine tank, and it's just finishing up cycling. I was planning on doing aggressives at first (ease of keeping for a beginner, etc), but from what I've heard here, it might not be the thing to do. Are there any good aggressive species that would do well in a tank this size? My alternative plan for the tank would be a community- maybe a dwarf angel, small tang, and a flame hawk. Thanks for your input!!!

grouper 42

Many interesting aggressive fish will get too big. My guess is that you couldn't have more then 3 or 4 fish in the 4-6 inch range in that tank. More if you go smaller. Read various references about eventual size and keep in mind that the fish rarely attain the size in an aquarioum that you see quoted in books. Beyond that it will depend on compatibility. The better behaved the fish the more you can have (i.e no triggers).

dasnake03

Don't start out with big 4-6" fish,but you could fit a dwarf lion,snowflake moray,and a porc puffer.
If you went with a community there are alot more nice choices,if I were you I would go with a community of,a pair of Percula or tomato clowns,a flame,coral beauty,or flameback angel,maybe a small hippo,yellow,or purple tang,a flame hawkfish,a couple of gobies,or a small school of 4 or 5 green chromis.As long as the fish are on the small side (2-3") you could have a nice set up.If you don't have live rock deffinately go out and buy some,maybe 50lbs.

craigj

dasnake is right about the tangs not growing fast, but also remember that you are new to saltwater so tangs probably aren' the best thing for you. They're not hardy at all and can be rather difficult to acclimate.