65 Gallon Stocklist Help?

Hey all, I've got an empty 65 Gallon that I will be upgrading into soon, and I know I want it to be a reef tank, and right now I have 1 four stripe damsel, and I don't want to get rid of him because I do like him. What I was thinking was that I could leave him in his current tank until the 65 is all sut up with LR+LS and cycled - mutured, and stocked with the other fish (which I don't have yet) first and than add him to the 65 so he is the last introduction into new surroundings and rockwork. What stocklist would you suggest ( including clean-up-crew ) that would be fine with the damsel? TIA - Andrew

lol hes way to small they would just gobble him up!! poor little guy

Hmm i would actually consider that though if i wasn't aiming for a reef tank!

BTW the tank is an open top, so no jumpers

Wish Stocklist:
B/W False Perc. x1
False Perc. x1
Four Stripe Damselfish x1
Royal Gramma x1
Flame Hawkfish x1
Blue Tang x1
Yellow Tang x1
Green Chromis x3
Coral Beauty x1
Flame Angel x1
( These are fish I want, would they all fit, or exceed bio-load capacity, and which ones will 100% NOT get along? thanks!
)

btldreef

see what's written in red
Originally Posted by andrewjardin
http:///forum/post/3205600
BTW the tank is an open top, so no jumpers

Wish Stocklist:
B/W False Perc. x1
False Perc. x1
Four Stripe Damselfish x1 This fish regardless of whether it is added first, middle or last on your list is going to decide what you can keep in your tank and there is not a damn thing you can do to stop him. They're evil, extremely aggressive little fish. As they grow, they'll even begin to bite you every time you need to put your hand in the tank. DAMsels should not be kept in a reef or with any other kind of fish. Trust me, you'll regret this

Royal Gramma x1
Flame Hawkfish x1
Blue Tang x1 Your tank is too small for him. The only tang that will work is a Yellow, Kole or Bristletooth Tomini and even that's pushing it. I don't think tangs should be in anything under 75G

Yellow Tang x1 A stretch, but it could work out. You'd need to lighten up on your stock list. No way you can keep two tangs in this tank, no matter what their size

Green Chromis x3
Coral Beauty x1 Your tank is too small for both dwarfs, they'll fight. I have both of these in my 155 and they fight. Pick on or the other

Flame Angel x1
( These are fish I want, would they all fit, or exceed bio-load capacity, and which ones will 100% NOT get along? thanks!
)

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3205655
see what's written in red
Thanks BTLDreef, I guess this will be goodbye to my damsel than

Thanks for the help! So does this new list sound good?
1x B/W F. Perc.
1x F. Perc.
1x Royal Gramma
1x Flame Hawk
1x Yellow Tang ( unless you think it would be to stressed in a 65 )
1x Flame Angel OR Coral Beauty ( don't know which yet )
3x Green Chromis
(maybee a bangaii cardinal or two instead of the yellow tang?)

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3206007
Thanks BTLDreef, I guess this will be goodbye to my damsel than

Thanks for the help! So does this new list sound good?
1x B/W F. Perc.
1x F. Perc.
1x Royal Gramma
1x Flame Hawk
1x Yellow Tang ( unless you think it would be to stressed in a 65 )
1x Flame Angel OR Coral Beauty ( don't know which yet )
3x Green Chromis
(maybee a bangaii cardinal or two instead of the yellow tang?)
I know, it sucks when you have to give up a fish, but trust me, you'll regret it if you don't. Just ask Meowzer about her evil DAMsels.
I do think the Yellow Tang would be stressed. You'd be better off with a group of 2-3 Bangaii's or something similar (there's a couple species of Anthias).
If you're looking to get the yellow color in the tank, you really should consider a Midas Blenny. They have such a great personality and will add some color and life to the tank. You could also look at the Yellow Angelfish or the LemonPeel Angelfish, but I don't believe that they are as "reef safe" as the Flame or Coral Beauty, although no angelfish is a 100% guarantee (I've never had an issue with either of mine and most people don't with the Flame and CB).
If you're not set on the cardinals or the chromis you could also try maybe 4-5 Anthias, depending on the species (some will get too big for your tank such as the Lyretails and Fatheads) for the schooling effect that I think you're looking for with the Chromis/Cardinals.
Also, if you're doing live sand, have you considered any sort of bottom dwelling fish other than the flame hawk? A sand sifting goby would be a good option. Only mentioning this because other than the flame, all the rest of your list are for the most part open swimmers. The blenny will perch on rocks and swim, which a goby will clean sand and stay on the bottom, just gives all areas of your tank some life. You don't want everything to be in the upper half of your tank or all out in open water because then they'll be crowding issues.
Just an FYI: False Percula Clownfish = Ocellaris Clownfish

http:///forum/post/3206077
I know, it sucks when you have to give up a fish, but trust me, you'll regret it if you don't. Just ask Meowzer about her evil DAMsels.
I do think the Yellow Tang would be stressed. You'd be better off with a group of 2-3 Bangaii's or something similar (there's a couple species of Anthias).
If you're looking to get the yellow color in the tank, you really should consider a Midas Blenny. They have such a great personality and will add some color and life to the tank. You could also look at the Yellow Angelfish or the LemonPeel Angelfish, but I don't believe that they are as "reef safe" as the Flame or Coral Beauty, although no angelfish is a 100% guarantee (I've never had an issue with either of mine and most people don't with the Flame and CB).
If you're not set on the cardinals or the chromis you could also try maybe 4-5 Anthias, depending on the species (some will get too big for your tank such as the Lyretails and Fatheads) for the schooling effect that I think you're looking for with the Chromis/Cardinals.
Also, if you're doing live sand, have you considered any sort of bottom dwelling fish other than the flame hawk? A sand sifting goby would be a good option. Only mentioning this because other than the flame, all the rest of your list are for the most part open swimmers. The blenny will perch on rocks and swim, which a goby will clean sand and stay on the bottom, just gives all areas of your tank some life. You don't want everything to be in the upper half of your tank or all out in open water because then they'll be crowding issues.
Just an FYI: False Percula Clownfish = Ocellaris Clownfish
Thank you VERY much for the very helpful answer BTLDreef!!

The midas blenny sounds like a good plan, and thanks for reminding me about levels! Otherwise I would have forgotten completely, and I agree with you, it will look much better with some lower level swimmers, as well as mid tank occupants. So, regarding what you've suggested i've come up with:
1x B/W Ocell.
1x Reg. Ocellaris
1x Goby ( not sure which species yet )
2x Bangaii Cardinals
3x Green Chrimis
1x Flame Hawk
1x Flame Angel
1x Midas Blenny
1x Royal Gramma
Clean-up:
10x Astrea
10x nassarius
10x Scarlet Hermits
1x Cleaner Shrimp ( Will these two
1x Pepperment Shrimp Get along? )
Thanks again!!

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3206257
Thank you VERY much for the very helpful answer BTLDreef!!

The midas blenny sounds like a good plan, and thanks for reminding me about levels! Otherwise I would have forgotten completely, and I agree with you, it will look much better with some lower level swimmers, as well as mid tank occupants. So, regarding what you've suggested i've come up with:
1x B/W Ocell.
1x Reg. Ocellaris
1x Goby ( not sure which species yet )
2x Bangaii Cardinals
3x Green Chrimis
1x Flame Hawk
1x Flame Angel
1x Midas Blenny
1x Royal Gramma
Clean-up:
10x Astrea
10x nassarius
10x Scarlet Hermits
1x Cleaner Shrimp ( Will these two
1x Pepperment Shrimp Get along? )
Thanks again!!

Sounds good. Have you looked into what protein skimmer you are going to go with?
As for the CUC add:
10 Trochus Snails
5-10 Cerith Snails
1 more Cleaner Shrimp (2 total)
1 more Peppermint Shrimp (2 total)
The peppermints and the shunk cleaners will not fight. You'll probably never see your peppermints again after you put them in the tank. For the most part, they are nocturnal and cave dwellers. I only know that my two are still in there because occasionally I see the molt from them. My cleaners don't bother them at all. They actually stay on opposite sides of the tank and I have no idea why because they didn't do that in my 40G.
You might want to also think about an emerald crab. I have one in my 14G, none in my 155.
Keep in mind that the hermits will kill your snails to steal their shells (especially the nassarius and ceriths) if you don't provide them with shells.
Fish list looks good, look up Midas Blenny's on YouTube, they're characters.
Add the Flame Angel last (don't know if I mentioned that or not)
As for gobies, the Diamond definitely is the best sand sifter. The Dragon Goby (Sleeper Banded) is also an excellent sand sifter, but they tend to make a little bit more of a mess and from what I hear, they're jumpers, although I never experienced that. The Yellow Watchmen Goby is by far my favorite for personality, but they don't sift as much.

http:///forum/post/3206283
Sounds good. Have you looked into what protein skimmer you are going to go with?
As for the CUC add:
10 Trochus Snails
5-10 Cerith Snails
1 more Cleaner Shrimp (2 total)
1 more Peppermint Shrimp (2 total)
The peppermints and the shunk cleaners will not fight. You'll probably never see your peppermints again after you put them in the tank. For the most part, they are nocturnal and cave dwellers. I only know that my two are still in there because occasionally I see the molt from them. My cleaners don't bother them at all. They actually stay on opposite sides of the tank and I have no idea why because they didn't do that in my 40G.
You might want to also think about an emerald crab. I have one in my 14G, none in my 155.
Keep in mind that the hermits will kill your snails to steal their shells (especially the nassarius and ceriths) if you don't provide them with shells.
Fish list looks good, look up Midas Blenny's on YouTube, they're characters.
Add the Flame Angel last (don't know if I mentioned that or not)
As for gobies, the Diamond definitely is the best sand sifter. The Dragon Goby (Sleeper Banded) is also an excellent sand sifter, but they tend to make a little bit more of a mess and from what I hear, they're jumpers, although I never experienced that. The Yellow Watchmen Goby is by far my favorite for personality, but they don't sift as much.
I already have the Super Skimmer 65G (Coralife) and im going to put that into the sump(20G) But im no-where near done with my sump research as im pretty well clueless when it comes to how it's supposed to be set up.%%
Will do with the CUC. - The Pepperment's will hopefully also double as aptaisia killers

Emerald -No Problem, will add to CUC list, as for the hermits, what would you suggest in their place, because I dont wan't any casualties with the snails.
As for the Goby, I think im going to go with the Watchman, do they generally live in symbiosis with pistol shrimp as well?
Off topic but: I was reading about Jewel Anemones, (Bulb anemones?) and they look really cool, are they reef safe, and would clowfish host in them?
Sorry for noob questions, just wanted to know!
TIA -Andrew

So all along i've thought my tank was a 65G because my dad told me it was. But I always thought it looked to big to be a 65G, so i measured it today and the dimensions are even bigger than a 75G talked about in another thread here on swf.com So how many gallons is it ( I dont know how to do the math myself ) Dimensions:
Across Front: 48"
Across Side View: 18.5"
From Bottom To Top: 19.5"
I Beleive its 75 Gallons am I correct?

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3206346
I already have the Super Skimmer 65G (Coralife) and im going to put that into the sump(20G) But im no-where near done with my sump research as im pretty well clueless when it comes to how it's supposed to be set up.

Will do with the CUC. - The Pepperment's will hopefully also double as aptaisia killers
Most do, at least at first. Once they discover that the tank gets fed every day, they tend to get lazy.

Emerald -No Problem, will add to CUC list, as for the hermits, what would you suggest in their place, because I dont wan't any casualties with the snails.
As for the Goby, I think im going to go with the Watchman, do they generally live in symbiosis with pistol shrimp as well? Watchman gobies are the ones that do, along with shrimp gobies (every site calls them something different)

Off topic but: I was reading about Jewel Anemones, (Bulb anemones?) and they look really cool, are they reef safe, and would clowfish host in them? They're not true anemones. They're coralliomorphs. A clownfish would destroy them. To my knowledge, I don't think you can get them right now legally, I could be wrong. Bubble tip anemones are the easiest to get a clown to host, especially the clowns you're looking at. They're not guaranty that a clown will host at all, but the bubble tips seem to have the best success rate. There is always a risk of the anemone moving and stinging corals. I haven't had this issue, I have 4 in my 155 and 1 in my 14G.

Sorry for noob questions, just wanted to know!
TIA -Andrew

http:///forum/post/3206493
So all along i've thought my tank was a 65G because my dad told me it was. But I always thought it looked to big to be a 65G, so i measured it today and the dimensions are even bigger than a 75G talked about in another thread here on swf.com So how many gallons is it ( I dont know how to do the math myself ) Dimensions:
Across Front: 48"
Across Side View: 18.5"
From Bottom To Top: 19.5"
I Beleive its 75 Gallons am I correct?
I'm not that good with tank sizes. Does it have a built in overflow? What company makes it?

spanko

48 * 18.5 * 19.5 = 17,316
17,316 / 231 = 74.96 gallons.
So if the measurements you gave are inside measurements then the tank is indeed a 75 gallon. A little less if they are outside measurements.
Formula for gallons is;
L * W * H / 231.

Thanks guys!
And BTLD I dont mind if the pepps. get lazy :) I think their really cool lol
and yes, the measurements were taken from the inside of the tank! I'm so excited now I have 10 more gallons to work with

I'll post a pic of the empty tank later, I think im going to redoo the silicone insode, and it defianntly needs he dust cleaned out!

I'm not that good with tank sizes. Does it have a built in overflow? What company makes it?
Not sure which company made the tank, it is an old tank my dad gave me, and no, there isn't anything other than a glass tank and a metal frame!