6K Vs 10K vs 20 K lights

dalerich

Corallife makes many types of 18" 15W Fluorescent bulbs. I was reading the questions other have asked to fine everyone saying 10K bulbs. I have 6K 50/50 bulbs and I'm going to replace them with the message board recommendation of 10K.
My question is would 20K be better than 10K?
There both 24.95 on coralife website.
Does anyone know cheaper supplier?
Thanks

dalerich

I want to grow coral and plants and make everything happy. Which light does that? I see the 20K is very blue but is it a better growth bulb than th 10K?

viper_930

In MH lights, the lower K will produce more growth, but I'm not totally sure if that is the same with NO bulbs.

blitz99

the "K" of the light doesnt matter just yet... if you want to "grow coral" as you say then you probably wont do well with normal output flourescent lights... you need higher wattage than 18 watts... you'd be better off with metal halides, or VHO flourescents, or power compacts...

wwfstyle

Sorry to say this but if you are looking at growing corals and you are looking for something cheaper than $24.95 then you really should not keep a reef. There are some corals that need VHO, or MH (metal Hylides). 10K will make the corals grow pretty fast and the 20k very slow. I like the 14k personaly you get a little of both. Just to get 2 VHO ballast and set up you are looking at over $100. What size is your tank? For my 75 I have 2VHO atinic ( Priced around $150 w/ bulbs), and 2 250 14k MH (Priced around $500 w/ bulbs). My VHO is one of the low ends of quality and I'm looking at upgradeing them in a later date to handle 4 bulbs. So the minimum price of a 4' tank is going to cost about $150 to grow VERY few corals. One math thing to look at also........ Add up all the watts you use for your display tank..... Divide that by how many gallons of your display tank...... That will give ya watts per gallon. I have heard that you could be as low as 4 watts per gallon to grow some corals. With my set up it is 9.6 watts per gallon.