70 lbs of LR in a 29g

roushracer

So I just added 30 lbs of live rock to my existing 40 lbs in my 29g tank and it looks awesome!
Are there any downsides to having this much LR in a 29g tank? Also I have a 10 gallon fuge with an additional 10 lbs of liverock in it also.
Only thing I could think of was swimming room for the fish.
Here's my stocking list as of now:
Coral Beauty
Lemonpeel Angel
Bi-Color Blenny
Yellowtail Blue Damsel
Maroon Clown (pretty small)
25 hermits
25 snails
Conch
2 Emerald Crabs
Arrow Crab
I'll post a pick later so you can get an idea of how much is in there...

mcsd22

I count at least 12 fish in there from the picture. I don't think the rock would cause a big problem but IMO there are way to many fish in there. The bio load itself would be my concern.

viper_930

Just don't let it get too stagnant back there behind the rocks. Looks like you've got it pretty packed down. Hydrogen sulfide could build up in the dead space.

mcsd22

Thats a good thing, even at that you are pushing the limits. Just have to keep an eye on levels and remove a few more if you can't keep them in check. Looks like you have the equipment to go with a little bigger tank. Just a suggestion.

merredeth

All that in a 29 gallon tank?
Looks over stocked to me and the coral beauty is will probably suffer first. Coral Beauty & Tangs needs more than double and triple the gallons if memory serves me correctly.
Denise M.

reefkprz

how old is that tank (I am going to guess and say pretty young by the lack of coraline on the glass)

roushracer

Tank is about 3 months old, downgraded from a 55. I have a 54 corner that will be set up and running in a few weeks. Everything will be transfered to that tank.

roushracer

Oh, and the 55 was set up for almost two years and I never had any coraline on the glass for some reason. Rocks got covered, but not the glass.

toan

the only problem with too much LR is that your taking up "water space"
your 29g is actually probably 15gallons of "water"
but it is a nice setup, only thing i dont like about it is, that your stuff will eventually hide in the rocks and some things you buy will never again be seen
i like making caves, tunnels, cliffs, bridges for my fish/inverts that way i can always see them
but nice tank!

roushracer

Yeah, I might get rid of a little of the LR to make a few big caves. So far levels are all still perfect, and evreyone is doing great.
Keep in mind I also have a 10 gal fuge, so that helps too.
As far as bio-load, what do I need to keep an eye on?
Right now Amonnia is 0 and Nitrates are 20, same as always...