72 Gallon Bow Front Cycling with Biro Spira..

mmikej24

So I recently set up my tank and have begun the cycling process. I used Biro-Spira (Not sure if its spelled corectly) and it says that it speeds up the cycling process and it should be complete in 24 hours. I tested the tank about 4 hours after putting the Biro-Spira in, and it said my Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite levels are fine, although it said my PH was way too high. Is this normal? Im going to test it again later on tonight when the 24 hour period should be completed to see if everythings ok. I'll include some pictures of my tank as well.

autofreak44

Originally Posted by mmikej24
So I recently set up my tank and have begun the cycling process. I used Biro-Spira (Not sure if its spelled corectly) and it says that it speeds up the cycling process and it should be complete in 24 hours. I tested the tank about 4 hours after putting the Biro-Spira in, and it said my Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite levels are fine, although it said my PH was way too high. Is this normal? Im going to test it again later on tonight when the 24 hour period should be completed to see if everythings ok. I'll include some pictures of my tank as well.
Welcome to the boards!!
congrats on your new tank...
now for a few questions
do you have live rock?
do you have sand or crushed coral or any other substrate?
do you have a hydrometer or refractometer to measure salinity?
can you post exactly what your paramaters are? (the test levels for amm, trite, trate, pH and other tests)
first off DONT BUY ANY FISH until we can get you straightened out, as you have been mislead by some fish store workers...
first off in a tank you need to fill it with salt water that has been properly made and measured for the correct salinity with a hydrometer or refractometer. i keep my salinity at around 1.024. and you will need a thermometer. typical salt temp range is 78-82 degrees F. once you have reached those two paramaters then you need to put in live rock and live sand. for that aquarium i would say 60 lbs sand and 75 lbs rock will be fine. the rock is part of the biological process in the tank... anyway.... then you have to let your tank cycle. the chemicals, while they may help a little bit, have never been proven to speed up a cycle. the best thing to do is toss in a piece of dead shrimp and let it sit in the aquarium for about 4 days and pull it out. this shrimp will release ammonia and then the rock and sand will mature and convert the toxic ammonia to less toxic nitrite and even less toxic nitrate. its all part of the nitrigen cycle. the actual cycle can take 2-4 weeks, but remember patience is the key in this hobby. the definition of a cycle is letting the bacteria and algae in your aquarium build up to beneficial numbers so they can convert ammonia to nitrate, and if you put a fish in before the cycle is finished it will be stressed, hurt, or killed by the level of ammonia released by its waste...
ok hope this gets you started in the right direction. welcome to the salt water hobby and you did the right thing by comming to the website and talking to people on here. the key to this hobby is patience, persistance, and research. it may all seem a little technical at first but it will all make sense in time, ive only been at it for 7 months and i have learned A LOT... make sure to read lots of info in the archives and before you ask a question use the search feature to see if it hasn't already been answered

mmikej24

This is what I have in my tank...
72 gal ALL GLASS Bowfront
48 inch Formosa DX 260 watt lights
Sump Tank (15 gallon) with Bio Balls
Mag Drive 700 Pump (700 gph)
G Series In Sump Protein Skimmer (250 gph)
Koralia 2 Circulation Powerhead (600 gph)
Visi Therm 250 Watt Heater
75 lbs Live Rock
80 Lbs Live Sand
I just got my refractometer but I havent measured anything yet. I will repost the findings tonight... do you think this equipment would be sufficient to have a good mix of corals with fish?

autofreak44

sounds like ur doing good so far, make shure before you put anything in to get the ammonia and trite down to 0... then you will know your cycle is done

codylowe

I used the "bio-spira" also, and it worked great! for me. I waited a few days after i had put it in - just to make sure, but all levels stayed constant at 0. After a couple of days i put a couple of cheap damsels in - again just to make sure, and they did fine. (I ended up taking them back to the store b/c they are devil fish that kept picking on the clown). Anyways, my tank is 3 months old right now and i have NEVER had anything spike on me - all tests have always been 0.

mmikej24

That's good to hear. My girlfriend bought me a cleaning crew (30-90 Gallon package from Saltwaterfish.com) that we put in the tank yesterday. Yes, I know it was probably too early so Im hoping the ammonia levels dont spike. We put all the live rock and Bio-Spira in on Sunday, so hopefully that was enough time for the tank to cycle and the cleaning crew can survive. There's not a lot of algae growing in the tank yet, besides what came on the live rock, so Im putting some food in the tank hoping that they will all feed off that for a while.

rabbit_72

We have only been in the hobby for over 3 years and it is easy to get excited about your tank. Just be careful and don't add anything else, especailly corals or anenomes right now. Give your tank time to mature. Just because a tank cycles, doesn't mean it has matured. That takes patience and time. Good luck and enjoy!

mmikej24

Your right. I am just going to sit back and see how the cleaner crew does for a few days. I wont be adding any corals for at least a few weeks. The first fish I want to add eventually is a diamond goby, and then eventually a powder brown tang, clown fish and brownbird wrasse. Do you think I should add these at the same time or maybe get the goby first and then hold off on the others?

codylowe

You definitely need to add the fish SLOW. I am talking about maybe 1-2 small fish a week. I know it is very hard to sit and watch a docile tank, but it still needs to be slow. Otherwise you risk an ammonia spike that will kill your new livestock.
There are many things to enjoy throughout the first few months, as i have learned, by watching the critters and things that come out of the rock and sand.
My first fish was a diamond goby and i love him; he keeps the sand bed very clean.
As for adding them at the same time, you shouldn't have any problems putting them in one by one, unless they are the same type of fish - then you may want to introduce both together.
Good Luck my friend.