72" lighting system is it needed?

g13

I currently have a 45 ga tank up and running. It's 36"x12"x24" it has an HQI MH aqua medic pendant. The bulb itself sits above the 6"x3" glass shield and is able to light up the full 36" tank and then some.
I just upgraded and am in the process of setting up a 72"x18"x23" AGA RR tank. My question is, if I want to switch to T5's do I really need to purchase a 72" light fixture? I've seen a few setups that are 5' long and are well lit by a 4' light. Do you guys think I can get away with a 4' light (Tek/ATI) on a 72" tank?

al mc

Depends on what you are keeping. Also may be limited on where you can place certain corals and anenome. If you are willing to make some placement concessions IMO it can work.

moprint

The ends will not be as well lite. I think you could get by if was only 1 foot difference, but 2 feet will just be to much. Look into Nova Extreme Pro made by Current you can find it for around $584. Aquactinics makes a 72" fixture but its $950 without bulbs or legs. Or you could get two 36" Teks 6 bulb fixture that will be around $860 with bulbs, but no legs. Two 36" or one 72" I think you will disappointed if try to get by with one 48" fixture, or try it and if you don't like it buy a 24" to put beside it.