72 Reef Pump Recommendation

I

irenicus

What would one recommend for a return pump in the sump for a 72 gallon reef display. I would say approximate 4-5 feet of head pressure. Target turnover is 15 times.
Factors include noise, electricity, heat, RELIABILITY!
Thanks!

krowleey

i decided to go with a mag 12 on mine, will have it up and running the sump that is this week when i figure out how to get the thing in there.

flatzboy

How much are you looking to spend? Mag drives aren't top of the line but they get the job done.

nyreefer

I would go with a Mag drive as well, probably a Mag9 depending on your needs. Mine is very quiet and has been reliable.

I

irenicus

What are the advantags of external pumps?
Anyone recommend any other in sump pumps?
I've used Mags for awhile, just wondering if there are better ones or if I should just stick with the mag.

wildemon

External pumps are available more powerful, transfer less heat to the water, take up less valuable real estate, and when they fail they do not pollute the water. However you usually need the sumptank drilled and a bulkhead installed. I really like the Blueline pumps at Champion Lighting or the same Pan World pumps at Marine Depot.
I have 2, one the equivalent to an Iwaki 30RLXT and 55RLT. Both flow about 1000 gal/hr, are nearly silent , & low wattage. One flows return water to the tank and one drives the chiller.
William Fisher