720 Gallon Project Update.

blane perun

I wanted to post this update to my project since I have yet had a chance to produce a new web page explaining where I am in the process. Previously I had finished coating the room with Polyboard and installed a Natural Vented Gas heater for Climate control.

I have two thermostats, one running fans

and one running the heater.

The reason I used two is because in some cases the room is cool but requires circulation because of humidity. I will eventually drop the thermostat and have the fans controlled by humidity monitor, but I chose this route in the interim to cut cost.
After the room was complete I purchased the tanks, which from a previous post I described where the Rubbermaid stock tanks.

I had taken those back in exchange for Tuff Stuff tanks which provided more growing area.

I had originally planned to have a sump return for each system, I was going to buy the Tuff Stuff 40 gallon tank, elevate the grow tank and have the sump underneath at a 90 degree angle with half of the sump exposed. I wanted to have the option to run skimmers and DSB’s in the sumps if I so chose.

Because of space requirements and the lack of desire to build stands for each system I ditched the idea all together. I will be running 6 independent systems and one Display.
I have broken up the systems like this. Quarantine, SPS, Leather, Gorg & sponge, Disco, Palythoa and Zoanthus. I will be running DSB’s in two of the systems the Sponge, and Disco’s. In the remaining ones I will be running rock rubble as a biological filter. Most of the tanks will be low to moderate flow with exception of the SPS and Zoo tank, which will be moderate to high.
I am running a myriad of lighting, in fact anything I can find on the market. My objective is to have the option to watch study and photograph the animals under a variety. So far I have purchased a Quad Prism PC, A standard dual 40w fixture, A #4 110 VHO Ice Cap pendant. I will most likely ass three more fixtures each MH, two with supplemental PC’s.
The room provides natural lighting via three skylights, which during the summer months provided a great amount of illumination. I however am not one of the lucky ones with a E/W home, so during the winter I am finding I lack direct light. I have a lumens and Par meter and plan to begin a series of weekly measurements which I will post in quarterly intervals.
Blane Perun

ryebread

Awesome.
I would love to have the space, time, and money to do the work you have started. I hope you plan to keep us updated on how things go. Are you building a main display tank or is this just for propagation?