72G Bowfront

cuda

Hello all...Well, I have been convinced to convert my AGA tant to a reef tank. I have a glass store nearby that will do the drillings. Now here is my question.
1. Where should the holes be drilled? I am thinking they should be on the top of the tank approx 2inches from the top.
2. What size should the holes be?
3. Where and what type of bulkheads should I purchase
4. What is the best way to install them. What type of adhesives and so on
Thanks for your help Im very interested in hearing what you have to say. I am planning on haveing 2 holes drilled for a sump. If anyone has any other suggestiong please let me know. This is something I have never dealt with b4.

oceanjumper

I have a 72 gl bowfront myself and I wish I had done the same as you are thinking of doing. Like you, I have given it some thought. Though I'm still new to SW, on what I have read, I believe the best way to go is to make two overflow chambers. I think the advantage of the chambers is that they are less visible and likely safer. I fear outlets could be blocked by e.g. snails or so, resulting in overflowing of the tank. Somehow I think with a chamber the changes this can happen are much lower.
The problem with chambers and my tank though, the bottom glass of my tank is made of tampered glass that cannot be drilled. It that is the case with you as well you have to go with holes in the back. You need to decide how high you would like the waterlevel to be, and carefully determine the location. Well, this is I guess your question: how far from the top should you drill? I would think that it also depends on the flowrate of your return pump. The faster the flow, the bigger the outlet holes need to be (I would think). Hopefully one of the more experienced ppl will reply to your post. Esp. Broomer seems to know a lot about it but I'm not sure if he is around (I'm also waiting for him to reply to my post). Nevertheless, in most of the drawings that I have seen the the bulkheads used are 1' in diameter.
I don't know where you cvan buy the bulkheads (it is actually one of the questions as well in my post). I have seen them on www.***********.com but they don't have pictures of them and I hate to buy something w/o looking at it.
As far as adhesive. I have used marine silicone for my sump.
Good luck

gregzbobo

Unfortunatley, the bottoms of most larger AGA tanks are tempered, hence un-drillable. I have a 65 gallon tank with the holes drilled in bottom with an overflow, and its holes are 1.5 inch for the return, and 1.75 inch for the drain. I have excellent flow in both directions, my pump is rated for about 1000 GPH at 4 feet head and I keep the ball valve on it wide open, so I am assuming its running at at least 900 GPH. Holes on your tank of that size ought to be enough I would think. A shark would know better than I would though. :) Also, most bulkheads available come with a nice foam rubber gasket which works well for me. If you do decide to silicone it to the glass, use silicone made for sealing aquariums. Marine silicone, assuming its the kind for sealing boats up and the like, often has an anti-mildew agent in it. Not something I'd want in my tank.