$75,000 squid on Ebay

sterling

Is this a joke or what. Someone in New Zealand has a squid listed on ---- with a minimum bid of $75,000. Go look.
Pet supplies:fish:eek:ther item#2315843097 (sorry I don't know how to attach site)

hairtrigger

That just strikes me as stupid. What a jacka$$. Anyone who bids on this is just as much of a nunce. It is probably just another scammer trying to rip off a gullible person. But most super gullible people dont have that kind of loot to drop on a squid anyway. :D

S

simm

Its probably true. Go to my thread in fish discussion. OT Giant Squid. My link to cnn sounds like it could be this one.
Squid

hairtrigger

Nice link. And yeah, Ive heard of these giant squids. But, as far as the bidding on ----... I find it hard to believe for that kind of investment , the seller couldn't get an actual picture. Or for that matter, a picture of a live one. Furthermore, I have a feeling scientists, marine biologists would be more interested in it than a private person. Eg, the organization would snag it in the name of science. I just think the sale is a scam, not the fish. :cool:

bandcamp

i think the sale of the squid is a joke - the squid is real.
after reading the seller's description, i honestly belive the sale is a hoax & he/she doesn't actually have the squid in his/her possession. it's probably in the hands of the new zealand scientific community.

jim672

Bandcamp is correct based on what I've read. The squid is at the Auckland University of Technology in New Zealand and is being studied by the marine biologists there.
Hair Trigger,
They refer to it as a "colossal squid" to differentiate it from the more common Giant squid.
Jim

fshhub

IMO, it looks like the real macoy.
descritpion fits, could be the one who caught it is interested in making a buck, or maybe whoever he gave it to, after tehy are done with it. Perfectly understandable, I probably would.
If you look at teh seller ratings, he has been there for a while and has very good ratings.

S

simm

hehe man I could feed my agressive tank for a very long time with that squid. :D

tiffster

timsedwards-You can but livestock on e-bay by the way, I have gotten an acro frag, a maxima clam, ivory fresh water snails, and an electric blue crayfish. You can actually get some pretty nice corals for good prices ! My acro frag was $5.00. They are all doing well too. Anyway.....

overanalyzer

Originally posted by fshhub
IMO, it looks like the real macoy.
descritpion fits, could be the one who caught it is interested in making a buck, or maybe whoever he gave it to, after tehy are done with it. Perfectly understandable, I probably would.
If you look at teh seller ratings, he has been there for a while and has very good ratings.

I disagree
- first he has not had a sale since May of 2002
- second here is a direct quote from CNN: The squid was eating Patagonian Toothfish, which grow to two meters in length, when it was caught. It was dead when it was hauled into the trawler and the remains are now in the New Zealand national museum.
- third only 6 have ever been found and 5 of them were just bits and pieces found in the stomache of whales. So this would be a rare scientific find
- fourth ---- has a way to verify and guard against people bidding for high dollar items but they do not have the money to pay it off - and this user did not put any of those safe guards in place
- fifth - seems like a lot of the sellers previous items where a cell phone, a bar and wheels for a car. how he went from those pedestrian items to a $75,000 squid seems a bit fishy (sorry)
- sixth - He has the sale listed in American Dollars but he is located in New Zealand.
- seventh - can anyone tell I am bored out of my freaking mind @ work?
Just saying ....
(besides how often do I getto contradict a shark??)

fshhub

1st so, he definitely has not had many of these in past years
2d and? it could be anywhere, for research(even a museum), it is still the property of the boat owner to do with as he wishes, right?
3d exactly, thus the price
4th first high dollar sale and is not american, prob doesnot speak english well, maybe did not realize this
5th good timing, maybe
6th so, the most commonly used currency, esp in an open market world wide bid. BIG DOLLAR
7TH AS BORED AS ME, ;)
last as, as often as you would like, providing you do so in a respectible(for you) manner, knock yourself out.
Oh yeah, very rare, thus the price(which I would start higher, if it were mine). BTW, I would not bid on it personally, evenif I did have the money to.
I was not actually saying that I know it is, or that I would completely trust the seller, I would want evidence b4 paying. But more that his ID is respectable and the description fits. It is still buyer beware adn if this seller accepts money and cannot deliver on a sale this large, I am pretty sure that would be even more dangerous for him than the buyer. Legalities and Tempers cna be something you do not want to cross with that kind of money.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by fshhub
7TH AS BORED AS ME, ;)
Legalities and Tempers cna be something you do not want to cross with that kind of money.

7 - oh man my entire team is gone and I am typing of freaking meeting minutes from a 3 hour meeting -- and I have been working on it since noon ....... snooze ville!!
on your legality point - yeah he better be careful because apparently Sir Elton John is the current high bidder. ;)
I am now envisioning the squid in sequined sunglasses and a remake of crocodile rock .... the Colossial Squid Rock ..... all the other kids were rockin' road the clock .....
I still think it is fishy .... but I am putting it on my watch list!!!

leigh

on #4. er...in australia and new zealand people speak english...america isn't the only country with english as it's primary language... and the 'sir elton john' bidder recently bought a used dvd of Home Alone 2. i have to hope the real mccoy has better taste than that--or at very least can afford a new copy :) he he

fshhub

redone: didn't you know, the new version is NOT 'Crocodile Rock'
but
'Colossal Rock'
(oh, ii see you heard it too)
It would be interesting to watch and see if he delivers though.

fshhub

Originally posted by leigh
on #4. er...in australia and new zealand people speak english...america isn't the only country with english as it's primary language... he he

ooops, yeah, i forgot, their dilect is a bit different, but they should be able to understand our printed material for the most part. Even though it is still his first high dollar sale, he may not have still known.
why am I defending? I too am interested in seeing.

ophiura

1) I personally know Dr. Steve O'Shea, and know he would never let that beast go. :D You think I am silly about seastars and brittlestars.... :D ;) If I had a giant brittlestar, I know I wouldn't let that thing be posted on ---- :p
2) But seriously, I would say it is a matter of national pride in New Zealand that it is the major area for research of these bizarre animals...they are very active in documenting their nation's biodiversity, and fishermen commonly turn over bodies of giant squid, etc, to the national museum.
It is a true scam, and I don't know ----'s policies...but clearly this last line is a joke:
Buyer is responsible for all shipping, handling and odor retention methods during shipment. Will arrange for delivery within 50 miles of Ross Sea.
Anyone who bids on it, seriously, is a fool :) and doesn't have a Kiwi sense of humor. :)