75 Bowfront or 75 Rectangular?

susieq

I am going to buy a new tank this week. Would you recommend a bowfront or rectangular tank and why?

emperor11

First things first, there is no 75 gallon bowfront. There's a 72 bow, but no 75. So, you're losing water volume right there. And then you've got the fact, that since its a bowfront, you have less surface area...cutting down on the amount of fish you can keep. Then you have to think about the fact that the glass/acrylic is already bowing, reducing the safety of the tank. Personally, I would go for the 75 rectangular. You have a few more gallons of water to play with, can keep a few more fish, and its safer. The glass on the 72 bow's are pretty thin (as thin as a 55). The rectangular tank may not be as "visually appealing" shape-wise, but you can counter-act that by making it one kick-*** reef!
JMO

fishfatty

I like the way the bowfront looks, but if it were me i could choose recuangular 75 b/c of cost issues.

scsinet

Absolutely agree. Bowfront tanks are really hard to clean... almost have to reach in with a scrubber pad. They look nice in the store... but after you get lazy with cleaning they look worse...

chipmaker

BF are a PITA to clean, make hoods etc for, and the distortion in the cornewrs when viewed from the front ,make things cockeyed. As neat and panoramic as they may appear, they just are not my cup of tea. I bought two 16 ga BF, for a super low price, and often times go to bed hopeing I wake up to a cracked tank just so I can get rid of them.....Its a whole lot easier scraping up and down from outside the tank than it is horizontly inside the tank

ppm411

I've had a 72 bowfront for a while now. It's just as easy to clean the glass with a MAG-Float as any other tank I've ever had so I'm not sure what all of the complaints are in this thread. When the fish come close to the crest of the bow, it's almost as if you can reach out and grab them. I highly suggest the canopy for it as well. Oceanic makes it. It's like putting a picture frame around the tank. Good luck with whatever you choose.

jhawk

I would get the 75 over the 72 bowfront.Just easier to get things for and I can't see spend that much money for a tank that is 3 gallons smaller.

bronco300

i say 75, cost and more gallons....plus who really needs the bow, i mean you can make your tank look amazing without it...just an effect that costs money is what that is to me

slammy16

I have a 72 bow and i have never had a issue with cleaning the glass. It adds a little something to the tank with the curved glass not just a boring box.
Whats 3 gallons of water anyways
I custom made my hood and just hang my halides from the ceiling.
the only draw back i see is when you look at it from the side it gets a little distorted towards the front, 90% of the time you look through the front anyway.
just my 2cents

wangotango

i dont find them hard to clean. but my vote is for the 75, only because there are nicer canopies for rectangular tanks, not bows. plus even though the 72 is smaller, any bow front is more expensive than a same sized rectangular.