75 gal Fowler stocking info

dbrown9

I've posted a few times about this tank. Its a used 75 gal oceanic tank i bought used from a LFS in baton rouge that was downsizing. running through the first cycle now, of course all the filter is used also and has mass amounts of biological filtration built up on the bio balls. The filter was set up with this 75 and a 40 on top of it. so plenty of filtration. Plus Live rock from my 40.
Question is I have a foxface and a blue spot puffer now in my 40 gal but once i get the 75 right i'm going to need a few more fish. This is my idea, what do you think?
HumaHuma Trigger
Flame Angel
Tang?
Hawkfish?
Coral hogfish

mr. limpid

No tangs even tho you have a foxface (tang family) they need 6' of space for swimming. the others are fine, caution on the trigger when it gets bigger.

mproctor4

A Kole tang (AKA yellow eye tang) would be fine in a 75g. That is the only tang I would put in a tank that size.
Humma humma triggers don't grow really fast, but it will eventually out grow your tank. The flame would be a nice contrast of colors to the others.

dbrown9

after my tank cycles, since i have the puffer and foxface in my 40 gal, would it be best to add other fish to the 75 first or go ahead with those two then add new fish? since the puffer is more aggressive.
Also either a bursa or picasso trigger
Carberryi Anthia
coral hogfish
flame angel
yellow tang
hawkfish of some kind
is on my mind of adding to the 75. maybe not all but thats my thought on some fish.

mr. limpid

Just as a rule of thumb, always add your timid fish first, and your most aggressive last. This gives the timid a chance to settle in and get use to you, but once all are settled in if they are not compatible that is when the trouble starts.

dbrown9

ok changed my mind on stocking my tank. What does everyone think about this?
Longfin butterfly
Raccoon butterfly
Flame angel
Blue reef chromis
3 lyretail anthias
along with my foxface and blue spot puffer

mr. limpid

I never kept Anthia's but what i read they need only 1 male in group. Never had luck with chromis (they are in the damsel family, they fight each other) if you want to try keep in odd numbers. Looks like a good list, one more comment butterflies need a well established tank 1 year old.

dbrown9

well i guess this tank is considered new, it was tore down and moved for a few days had no water in it but was a lfs display tank. so the bio balls are/were covered in good bio. It has cycled in about 2 weeks. so do I still need to wait on the butterflys?

mr. limpid

Since this is an established tank I would start with the butterflies since thet are timid fish, hopfully the puffer wont mind. Then the anthias, chromis and Angel last. You are going to QT all your new fish? Good Luck

dbrown9

well here is my thing with the QT, I have the 40 gal with 2 fish and live rock. the 75 is right beside it with live rock. my thoughts are get the new fish put in say the butterfly and anthias in the 75 while the flame and chromis go into the 40. so that the more timid fish get established first in the new tank before the little more aggressive one get in there. as far as QT I'm assuming these are pretty much all new fish and will all be in the same QT so whats the difference? Legit question

mr. limpid

I'm not sure what you mean "will all be in the same QT so whats the difference" QT is your own personal quarantine tank, not the LFS they don't normal QT fish. Plus you should only add 1 fish at a time (exception with the Anthia's should add all 3 at same time) this allows your bio filter (bacteria) a chance to multiply to keep up with the additional load. Adding un QT fish to your DT is like playing Russian roulette, not worth losing your health fish.

dbrown9

I'm sorry I think I confused you. I do understand the importance of a QT especially if I have a display tank with other healthy fish. my 75 gal has no fish in it and is going to be my DT. The 40 that is right beside it has the two healthy fish in it now, but since they are a little more aggressive I am going to add them last to the 75. My question and concern is about adding fish to my 75 and avoiding paying multiple shipping cost?
But you answered some of that with giving the bio time to build up good bacteria. Is there a way I can put 5 fish in at the same time?

mr. limpid

first question:"I do understand the importance of a QT " not all the fish you get will be health, so you need a place to observe them and able to treat them without getting your health fish sick. You need a separate tank void of live rock and sand for two reasons both LR & LS will absorb meds which will make them less effective and also harmful things could be deep in rock and emerge later (less likely) but a chance. Also QT fish 1 at time allows time for the fish to adapt to you and get special treatment, no competition for food, no harassment by other fish and chance to get use to different foods.
second question:"Is there a way I can put 5 fish in at the same time" there is always a way but probably wont save you money or time. bacteria grows as much as there is food and space to grow in. So if you have two fish making bacteria food then there is enough bacteria as need to consume this food (poo). If you add 5 fish now there is 5 times the food and only bacteria to consume 2. It will take time for the bacteria to grow during this time ammonia levels will rise and fish will be stressed. Having said that, my suggestion on how this can be done; daily monitoring of ammonia levels water changes if they go over .5 plus have a bottle of Amqui ready. This will make the bacteria grow slower than if levels were allowed to go up like during cycling, thus added cost of water changes; testing and Amqui. Plus QT 5 fish at one time will require a large tank.

dbrown9

Got ya. All of that makes sense. Thank you Mr. Limpid for your info. I do have a 10 gal tank setup for QT, not sure that is big enough but has been cycled.

mr. limpid

I give you another tip, I also set up a 10gal QT just to find out that the hang on filter is way to small to house enough bio material to successfully QT a fish. So this is what I did, purchased a plastic glove box container from my local hardware store with a top (important), a 1/2" PVC elbow and a two piece fitting that had a rubber washer on one side. Cut a hole in bottom of container, using PVC cement glue the two piece fitting together with the washer on inside of container then attached the elbow pointing it downward, drill 1/8" holes in lid starting in middle with fewer holes than perimeter. I filled the box with bio balls. I built a wood box out of scrap plywood so that the glove boxes PVC's outlet sits above tank, I purchased the smallest water pump from LFS and connected a plastic hose to it so that it flowed out on top of lid in middle. I used electrical tape to hold hose in place (it doesn't look good but silicone didn't hold long). The only thing I added was flat plastic piece slipped under box at the PVC and bent it down (in case there was some drip back toward the box). Then I cycled the tank just like the DT with a piece of raw shrimp. I have successfully QT 7 fish without any ammonia problems. Good Luck

dbrown9

Thank you much. I had wondered about that being a potential problem. I do have the HOB that is on my 40gal now, it prob will work but this is a good alternative to having to use that