75 gal setup

jeo

Ok, I posted pretty much the same thing in "Tang Compadibility" but I wasn't getting any replies and I figured this is a different topic anyway. I have a 75 tank, (not set up yet), 80 lbs of live sand, and I plan on ordering between 50-60 lbs of live rock. I have a prism skimmer and an Emperor 400 filter. My friend who works at my LFS said it would be ok to put a yellow tang with a hippo tang because they are different shapes and they won't fight. I do realize that hippos get big, probably too big for my tank eventually, I have also heard that they are somehwat hard to take care of, any feedback on the difficulty of care from hippo owners? Assuming the yellow and hippo tangs could work, I would also like to go ahead with a flame angel, clowns (how many, someone said a pair is better, what about 3, 4, or 5 I think odd numbers are more interesting from an artistic point of view), 2 cardinals (2 to go against my whole artistic odd number theory), a royal gramma, and some shrimp, crabs, and snails. How is this setup as far as stocking level and compadibility? Let me know, I would really appriciate it, also I am still open to suggestions for different fish instead of the ones I mentioned. thanks guys :cool:

kev

The yellow tang and hippo together shouldn't be a problem, but I couldn't see an adult hippo in a 75 IMO(so i wouldnt get that hippo). As for the Clowns, your best bet would be to get a pair. If you get an odd number, the ones that are left out will more than likely be harassed to death. The flame angel is fine in a 75, BUT you will need to have had your tank up and running for AT LEAST 6 months to give your tank time to be well established. You should be fine with a yellow tang, 2 clowns, flame angel, 2 cardinals, and a royal gramma. If your going to have all of these fish, add them SLOWLY... add a fish, check water, add a fish, check water, and so on. Hope this helps. :D

jeo

Thanks a lot for the reply IV:XX, what about 4 clowns though? And if I don't go for the hippo would there be any other appropriate fish as a replacement or would my tank be pretty stocked without another fish, thanks again for the reply
:cool:

litmus

Your stocking list seems ok (except for the hippo tang). Probably adding something else in the hippo's place, is about one fish too many.
One thing that I'm not sure about, is keeping that many clowns togethor. I think that it should be ok (from what I've read), but I havn't tired it myself.
I have some suggestions. The addition of some powerheads would improve water circulation, and help with filtration. More live rock is recommended. About 1.5 lbs a gallon for a tank as densely stocked as what you are planning. Keep in mind that the rock does a large part of the filtration. If I was going to stock a 75 with that many fish, I would want to use a sump, too. I have a 75 with a 29 gallon sump. The sump is good because it adds to your water volume. More water = more dilution = less pollution = ability to sustain more fish.

jeo

thanks for the reply, I definitly plan on getting powerheads, and I will get as much live rock as I can afford, as far as a sump goes, well, I really don't know much about them, so I will try to read up, but any advice/recommendations would also be appriciated- also would I be better off putting money towards a sump or more live rock if it comes down to choosing between the 2? also anyone else know whether keeping 4 clowns would work or not? :) thanks

hey jake its dom, the 4 clowns perculas would be great! but if u put like 4 maroons or 4 of any other kind it would be dangerous , but if you were to do it i would go with the perculas, they dont get big or that agressive and pretty hardy
p.s. i got 2 2ft leopard shakrs and the queen angel rocks!