75 Gallon Acrylic - Drill or Use an Overflow?

wahoowa

I have a 5ft 75 gallon acrylic that I just picked up. I am at a crossroads as to use an overflow on the tank or to drill. I hear that drilling acrylic isn't that bad, but how would I create the overflow? I've seen some in tank box overflows - does anybody have any experience with these? Does anybody know of anything that works better than these if I were to drill? Or...should I just use a hang-on. Need as much advice as possible.

egill

I have a 46g and 75g with hang on the back overflows and a 240g drilled and drilled is the way to go. If you search online there is alot of DIY builts you could get info from. It'll take some work but I think you'll like the look and the easy of it.

haktran

Drill is the best way to go and it was not that hard at all. Just some regular hole drill that you can get from the home store, you can drill a hole for the bulk head easily. Good luck.

Man I can tell you the BEST way to go. I recommend it to everyone who asks this question. 9 times out of 10 people end up using it. If you PM me I will tell you. You will not regret it!!

wahoowa

Sent you a PM. Still open for suggestions.
Originally Posted by Bountyhunter23
http:///forum/post/3127288
Man I can tell you the BEST way to go. I recommend it to everyone who asks this question. 9 times out of 10 people end up using it. If you PM me I will tell you. You will not regret it!!

gregzbobo

Acrylic is easy to drill.
Just don't go TOO slowly or it'll bind up the bit, conversely too fast will melt the plastic and bind it up, but otherwise its almost as easy to drill as wood.
As for making an overflow, you can probably get some 1/4"-3/8" acrylic from a home supply store, cut it so it makes a right-angle rectangular or square box in the corner, then cut some teeth in the top. I don't think silicone sticks to acrylic, but more experienced folks chime in here, you could probably scuff the edges with sandpaper, as well as the mating surfaces in the tank to make it stick.
But if ya don't wanna fool with building an overflow box/weir, just drill the holes near the top of the tank on the back. You could drill just one for the drain, and run an over the edge return to minimize holes and allow more flow placement flexibility.
Enjoy the new tank!