75 Gallon build

xandrew245x

After being out of the hobby for over a year, I have the urge to try again. My first attempt was with a used 75 gallon set up, I was so new and the tank was an impulse buy and I ended up not being happy with it. After failing and losing overall interest with it I decided to sell.

Since then I have done a lot of research, and learned a lot and have been waiting for the right time to come. I came across a guy getting out of the hobby and couldn't help but snatch up his gear. I purchased from him

75 gallon reef ready corer overflow tank
1 Brand new 40BR
1 brand new 10g

Equipment below is 2 years old

1 Reef Illuminations T5 6-lamp 48" w/ Moonlight light fixture
2 200w jager heaters
1 150w jager heater
1 100w jager heater
1 Hydor Koralia 550
1 Hydor Koralia 750
1 gravel vacuum
1 eheim 550 pump
Various plumbing parts

My plan is to house the tank in my finished basement, right at the bottom of the stairs, it will gravity flow through the wall where I will have my fish room.

The 40br is going to be my sump, and the 10 is going to be a fuge. I plan on having a freshwater and saltwater resevoir right next to the tank, will be plumbed together with an external pump for water changes. My skimmer is going to be located externally and the skimmer cup is going to empty into a bucket. For top off I'm going to use a ato that will control a solenoid valve directly from my ro filter. This will be on a timer to only run about 4 mins a day to prevent accidents.

Let me know what you guys think of my plan.

flower

Hi,

It sounds like you plan a direct line from the RO unit....

I don't think you should hook up your ATO to a direct line. Use a container for it. Sensors get clogged, or if something leaks (just to name a couple of possible problems)... you could have freshwater continuously going into the system, if it happens through the night it wouldn't be detected until it's too late. Even with the timer I wouldn't chance it, when stuff is kept in the basement, it's not right there for you to see any problems if they arise.

I had a skimmer leak behind the tank, and when I got up the next morning my RO container was empty, my SG was very low, but because it was dripped in a little at a time, the critters survived. The ATO had an auto shut off to prevent the pump from burning out. If I had my ATO hooked up to a direct RO line, it would have been a very different outcome.

xandrew245x

I don't want to have to keep filling a container up for top of water, I did that with my last one and i would rather not go that route again. The only way I can think of making it more safe is using a container with a pump or solenoid valve thats on a timer for extra saftey, the container have a float valve directly from the ro line, or another float to control a solenoid valve on that. Either way, something can still go wrong and I can end up with a flood.

The only way to be 100% safe is to use a smaller container and fill it manually, and like I said I''m not doing that again.

sweatervest13

Good plan... One of my suggestions, Flower already addressed...

It sounds like you are going to be drilling and connecting the sump and fuge?? Careful drilling the tanks.

Fish room= awesome!!

I would just say, maybe plan on saving some room in the sump area for some extras down the road like a carbon or GFO reactor.

PS. I fill my ATO container (32g Brute trash can) once every 10-12 days using another 32g Brute trash can on wheels from my basement bathroom to my fish room. It takes about 5 minutes (if that). Its a little extra work, but it helps me sleep better at night knowing that 32g of fresh water is the most that could dump into the tank.

SV

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrew245x http:///t/397280/75-gallon-build#post_3540817
I don't want to have to keep filling a container up for top of water, I did that with my last one and i would rather not go that route again. The only way I can think of making it more safe is using a container with a pump or solenoid valve thats on a timer for extra saftey, the container have a float valve directly from the ro line, or another float to control a solenoid valve on that. Either way, something can still go wrong and I can end up with a flood.

The only way to be 100% safe is to use a smaller container and fill it manually, and like I said I''m not doing that again.

Hi,

If the RO container is right next to the RO unit...it isn't such a big bother. When you are puttering around with maintenance in the basement, run a hose and fill it up. I kept a 30g plastic garbage can (fish only) for my water. The RO water would last a week before it needed to be refilled. A sensor in the bottom will prevent it from burning up the pump should the tub go dry...worst case scenario then would only be to have to top off the sump. It's the best way, believe me.

xandrew245x

My Ro system only has a 3 gallon reservoir and only produces about a gallon an hour, therefore even if I was gone for 8 hours(the most I am ever gone on a regular basis) it would only dump at most 11 gallons into my system, which is manageable. I don't see a problem with that, and if I am gone, I plan on having someone check in on it.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrew245x http:///t/397280/75-gallon-build#post_3540835
My Ro system only has a 3 gallon reservoir and only produces about a gallon an hour, therefore even if I was gone for 8 hours(the most I am ever gone on a regular basis) it would only dump at most 11 gallons into my system, which is manageable. I don't see a problem with that, and if I am gone, I plan on having someone check in on it.

Okay ...at any rate, we can only offer advice, it's up to you to take it or leave it.

xandrew245x

Okay, well what do you think of using a container with a float valve and a regular valve so when I need to fill I can open it and let it fill, the float will shut it off until I get back to shut the manual valve, then have an ATO hooked to a pump to top of the tank when needed.

silverado61

Run a line from your r/o unit into a 32g container using a float valve to turn off the flow when full. Then run your ato from the 32g to the tank. The 32 will stay full and you can use water from that to mix saltwater for changes.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrew245x http:///t/397280/75-gallon-build#post_3540838
Okay, well what do you think of using a container with a float valve and a regular valve so when I need to fill I can open it and let it fill, the float will shut it off until I get back to shut the manual valve, then have an ATO hooked to a pump to top of the tank when needed.
No one is saying you can't do it... I think (correct me if I'm wrong) Flower just wanted to make sure you knew the risks of setting up your top off inline to the RO filter unit. I am sure it would be fine, but its the "if it does fail" than what... You need to figure out your risk tolerance... If you know the risks and are fine with it, go on ahead. To each his own.

Moving on... What are the plans for the tank. Reef, FOWLR? The T5's should do pretty okay, you may need to replace bulbs (that's the issue with T5's and MH's, bulb replacement every year). 6 bulbs is plenty of light for almost everything.

xandrew245x

I plan on using it for a reef tank, I already have the fish picked out I want, and some corals. I forgot to mention that I also received 9 brand new T5 bulbs, and the light just had new bulbs put in before he took the tank down.

Everything is on hold at the moment because I am currently finishing up laying tile on my basement, then I need to do some drywall work, paint, trim etc. etc and then I can finally get down to working on building the tank. I am glad that I have an unfinished and unused part of my basement directly behind where I will be putting the tank, it makes it so much easier if all my equipment can be out from underneath the tank.

I will defiantly keep what you guys said in mind, and just for peace of mind I may just use a larger container to hold top off water and fill it up, I will probably go with something around 15-20 gallons so it doesn't make a huge mess but can go a week without filling.

silverado61

I just mentioned using a 32g cause if you keep it topped off with the RO unit, you'll always have 20-25g ready to use for mixing salt for emergencies and changes. Since your finishing the basement, designs are limitless. Have fun with it.

xandrew245x

My basement was already finished, but I actually had a flood due to a sump pump failure(partially my fault for not replacing it) So I ripped the carpet out, cashed my insurance check and started laying tile.

I plan on having a 40g container to store fresh water for water changes, but I don't feel comfortable plumbing that into my sump for auto top off, I would rather not have 40g into my system and on my floor, that seems like a good bit of water.

silverado61

Especially after what you went through. I've been there. Failed sump = 4inches of water from a major storm. Not fun.

xandrew245x

Luckily I didn't even have enough water to come above the carpet, but it soaked the carpet, so it had to go. This time I put tile in so if it happens again, its a nice easy clean up.

I am hoping since I have to go to homedepot sometime this week for more grout I can pick up the wood to build my stand. I am so thankful I only have a little bit of grouting left and I am done with the floor, it has been one hell of an uphill battle.

sweatervest13

That stinks about the basement flooding. But at least you get to make it your own now. You are super lucky to have the extra space for a fish room, I love mine.
There were a few cool build threads going on here a while back. A few guys built some real nice auto top offs tied into RO/DI units and water change systems.
It is really cool that you got all those extra new bulbs!!
SV
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xandrew245x

Yeah, I am glad I had the insurance to cover it. I am really happy that I am able to have a fish room, it will just make everything so much easier.

I got a killer deal on all the equipment I only paid $400 for all of it.