75 gallon stock list

R

reelbigjawn

This is not 100% still deciding, just wanted some input. I know I will get hastled by the tang police but could care less. Im just wondering about fish compatibility.
75 gallon tank
Wet/dry
protien skimmer
UV sterilizer
60-70lbs live rock plan on adding more
60lbs live sand
Fish already in:
2 Percula clowns
1 Engineer Goby
Inverts:
8 snails
1 sallylight foot
1 sebae anemone
Coral:
Red Mushrooms
Chocolate Mushrooms
Green Frogspawn
Green Bubble Coral
Xenia
Kenya Tree
Green Star Polyps
Yellow polyps
Button polyps with green center
The fish I want to add:
Juvi Blue hippo tang
Mimic Tang or Yellow Tang
maybe Sixline Wrasse
and a skunk cleaner shrimp

R

reelbigjawn

According to SWF
Kole Tang: Minimum Tank Size: 90 gallons
Blue Hippo: Minimum Tank Size: 40 gallons
Mimic Tang: Minimum Tank Size: 75 gallons

crimzy

Originally Posted by ReelBigJawn
According to SWF
Kole Tang: Minimum Tank Size: 90 gallons
Blue Hippo: Minimum Tank Size: 40 gallons
Mimic Tang: Minimum Tank Size: 75 gallons
My guess is that these are minimum sizes for the fish at the moment/age they are shipped. I would hope that they are not estimating for long term survival because then these numbers would be way off. Possibly one of the mods can chime in to clarify.

michael r

I'm no moderator but the minimum size aquariums swf.com recommends ARE only taking into account the current size of the fish.
For a 75, as stated, one of either a Tomini or Kole Tang would work.

rainmkr07

I have a 75 Gallon Tank w/ 2 Percula Clownfish, 3 Green Chromis, and I will be adding a Juvenile Blue Hippo Tang and a Yellow Tang in the next month or two. Your list looks fine to me. As long as you know that the Blue Hippo, down the road, could outgrow the tank, you're all set.

R

reelbigjawn

I don't mean to have a negative attitude, there are some people on here though that can be pretty rude.

crimzy

Originally Posted by rainmkr07
As long as you know that the Blue Hippo, down the road, could outgrow the tank, you're all set.
Just out of curiosity, why do you say that the hippo COULD outgrow the tank? Is there a hippo that will not outgrow the tank? I really don't think that there's anything wrong with a baby hippo in a 75, but the reality is that it WILL outgrow the tank, unless it dies first.

rainmkr07

Originally Posted by crimzy
Just out of curiosity, why do you say that the hippo COULD outgrow the tank? Is there a hippo that will not outgrow the tank? I really don't think that there's anything wrong with a baby hippo in a 75, but the reality is that it WILL outgrow the tank, unless it dies first.
Are you 100% certain that 100% of blue hippo tangs will outgrow a 75? I'm not. I was told many would never outgrow a 75, they would just *prefer* 6 feet in length for swimming. Besides, it could die, or he could upgrade the tank before it outgrows the 75. I think there are many factors to consider.

crimzy

Originally Posted by rainmkr07
Are you 100% certain that 100% of blue hippo tangs will outgrow a 75? I'm not. I was told many would never outgrow a 75, they would just *prefer* 6 feet in length for swimming. Besides, it could die, or he could upgrade the tank before it outgrows the 75. I think there are many factors to consider.
To answer your question, yes, 100% of hippos will outgrow a 75 if they live that long. Unless you've discovered a new species of "dwarf hippo", then this is the case. This is not rocket science.

R

reelbigjawn

DragonZim said:
I know I will get hastled by the tang police but could care less.
Nice attitude

I don't mean to have a negative attitude, there are some people on here though that can be pretty rude.

Originally Posted by crimzy

Unless you've discovered a new species of "dwarf hippo", then this is the case. This is not rocket science.

E

essop3

Hippos get over 1' and are very active. That is too big for a 75. I wouldn't add ANY second tang to a 75.
Kole, mimic, or yellow would be ok though.

michael r

I don't believe the Yellow nor Mimic Tang will be okay, especially since the Mimic is of the Acanthuridae family. Very delicate tangs overall.
The Kole, Binotatus or Tomini Tangs would likely work though.