75 gallon tank What fish can i put in it

kiki05

Im fixing to buy a 75 gallon tank and im new to saltwater aquariums. What type of fish can i put in there and what fish should i stay away from.

nicetry

Before you purchase any livestock, do some reading/research on saltwater aquariums, fish and inverts. It will help you enjoy the experience a lot more.
Stay away from tangs, angels, butterflies, triggers, groupers, large lionfish, large puffers. They either need larger tanks or do best in very well aged systems.
Good beginner fish; clowns, dartfish, basslets, chromis, cardinals, wrasses.
Good book selections include The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner, and The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paletta. Also pick up a copy of 500 Marine Aquarium Fish by Scott Michael.

kiki05

Well ive done a little research and bought 2 books on salt water aquariums and also gone and talked to some people at the shops and they have told me to buy alot of live rock and they also told me that the blue hippo would be fine to put in a 75 gallon so is this not true? And i also dont plan on putting fish in prob three to four weeks after i had it running with live rock in it.

nicetry

Originally Posted by kiki05
Well ive done a little research and bought 2 books on salt water aquariums and also gone and talked to some people at the shops and they have told me to buy alot of live rock and they also told me that the blue hippo would be fine to put in a 75 gallon so is this not true? And i also dont plan on putting fish in prob three to four weeks after i had it running with live rock in it.
Be wary of fish store ownwers who are in business to make money. Most will sell you just about anything. I commented on tangs for a couple reasons. They are a very popular fish; colorful, active, most are reasonably priced. They are also very territorial, prone to illness and parasites, and need a lot of lateral swimming space in order to thrive (notice I didn't say "survive"). In doing research into fish species look at adult sizes ( which you almost never see at a pet store), compatability, propensity towards illness, etc.. Hepatus "blue hippo" tangs grow quite large. The vast majority of truly responsible aquarists would discourage you from attempting this fish in any less than a 6 foot tank of 125 gallons or better. If you stay in the hobby long enough, you'll undoubtedly read at least 100 threads about tangs and tank size. You'll formulate your own opinions. You'll hear the term "tang police" which generally refers to a group of hobbyists who insist any tang will not do well unless in a huge tank, and who chastise people for keeping them in small systems. Some of the tang police have actually kept them and know what they're talking about. Read a lot, don't go by the recommended "minimum" tank sizes, as they are most often way too confining. Because a few peole say "they have pulled it off" neither makes it right, or demonstrates good husbandry. Decide now as you enter the hobby if you are going to be a responsible aquarist, who keeps the best interest of his pets as a priority. If you start off with a responsible attitude, you'll have many years of enjoyment in the hobby.

kiki05

thanks nicetry for that info.... and is saltawater that much harder to keep up with than a freshshwater tank. Because ive had a 100 gallon freshwater tank for almost two yrs now and I love it thats what made me want to get a saltwater.

nicetry

IMO, marine tanks are more challenging. You need to pay more attention to water chemistry. You'll have much more invested in equipment and livestock compared to a fresh water tank. Saltwater systems are very rewarding but go into it well prepared and be patient.

kiki05

Thanks... is there any one else that has any suggestions on what and I think im going to wait a little while longer so i can buy a bigger tank prob 90 gallon or 125 depending on how big it is

renogaw

waiting is always a good idea. In the mean time, we're all (mostly) willing to help out and answer questions on the way. Earlybird had 1000 posts before even getting his live rock :)
btw, i have a kole tang in a 75, but they are correct, most tangs are going to be too small for one.

kiki05

o ok thanks and I was told that is best to get a bigger filter than what your tank is. is that true?

nick76

Originally Posted by kiki05
o ok thanks and I was told that is best to get a bigger filter than what your tank is. is that true?
What kind of tank do u plan on running? Reef tank with coral and inverts? Or Fish only with some Live rock?

lesleybird

Our live fish store has an indoor saltwater pond maybe 5 car lengths long. When I saw the movie Nemo I wanted a Dory fish (blue tang) and thought maybe one could go into my ninety gallon. (You may know the fish store up in NW Houston on 290? Don't think there are any blue hippo tangs in there now as he just re-did it to make it deeper). The second I saw how fast of swimmers these beautiful fish are I knew that they needed at least a twelve foot tank to be really happy as they liked to fly by at 10 feet per second. Even a six foot tank is unbelievably cruel if you have ever see them swim in a large pond or the ocean. "Dory" fish should not be kept at all in a fish tank. This is why I got a majestic angelfish instead of a "dory fish" tang, because my angelfish is not a lightning fast swimmer like the tangs. Even my angelfish who is nearly 6 inches long will get a much bigger tank within the year.
Lesley