75 to a 240 gallon

stw280

Just bought a new house and ordered my new 240 gallon tank. I am getting the tank but it will be weeks before I try to set it up and a couple months before I stock it. In my seventy five now I have a volitan lion, a black dog faced puffer, a snowflake eel, and a little clown trigger. I know reg flags are already going up and someone will say don't keep a trigger with a lion but they have worked well together.
The new owners of this house are taking over the 75 gallon and I am including most everything ls, most of the lr and some fish. I want to keep at least one shark in the new 240 a ray, my vloitan lion, and eels. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to keep and what to add to the 240. I understand I will have to get rid of the trigger and probably the puffer to keep a shark.
Can I keep several eels in a 240. I now have a decent sized snowflake and would like to add a larger moray.
Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. In regards to a stocking list and in what order should I add them.
I am still doing my research on the shark. I have plenty of time to cycle the new tank and can keep my old tank running. I'm not just jumping into anything.
Thanks for the help.

fishy411

well firstly as yur clown trigger is little it should be ok until it starts to get bigger and it and the puffer rip yur lion apart. Have fun.

mn1467

I am planning a 250 gallon tank myself I plan on getting a coral cat shark, cali ray, and a lion. I am not sure about the eels but I do have one in my 60 gallon. I don't see why not. good luck on the new tank

mn1467

oh yeah I heard not to put alot of live rock if you plan on keeping sharks and rays so that might dampen your hopes on eels

stw280

Thanks for the response I think we have similar ideas on our new tanks. I have thought about the live rock issue and I thought maybe I could add some to part of the for the eels but not so much the shark couldn't avoid it.

lion_crazz

Originally posted by stw280
I know reg flags are already going up and someone will say don't keep a trigger with a lion but they have worked well together.
I want to keep at least one shark in the new 240 a ray, my vloitan lion, and eels. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to keep and what to add to the 240. I understand I will have to get rid of the trigger and probably the puffer to keep a shark.
Can I keep several eels in a 240. I now have a decent sized snowflake and would like to add a larger moray.
I'm not just jumping into anything.

Not jumping into it too fast is the best thing you could be doing. However, I would like to offer you my advice and opinion. Fist thing's first.. you definitely need to choose what type of tank you want to keep. The way I see it, you have two clear options.
1) puffer, lion, eels, plus other cool fish like a harelquin task or a different type of large wrasse (lunare, dragon, etc.). Plus, there are tons of other cool fish that would co-exist with your current puffer, lion, and eels such as a grouper, maybe even a tang or two.
2) one shark (maximum), one to two rays (maximum), and a maybe a few lions. I don't see anything else really going in that tank for the following reasons. One, you do not want anything aggressive like puffers or triggers with a shark or ray because they tend to bite at them (specifically their eyes). Two, you probably would have difficulties with eels because of the need for live rock. Sharks and rays need a lot of swimming room, so a lot of live rock is out of the question if you do sharks and rays. So if you did rock, you would be compromising on the shark and rays swimming room. If you did not have live rock, you would be making the eel(s) uncomfortable.
If it were me, I seriously would reconsider the shark and ray(s). You could have a much cooler and better tank if you went with just fish, because then you could keep your eel, possibly get another eel, keep your awesome puffer, and maybe even your trigger if it is still okay with the lion. I am usually one of those people that will red flag the suggestion of a trigger with a lion, but heck, if you already have them in the tank together and they are living peacefully, why fix something that is not broke? Just continue to keep an eye on them and only rectify the situation if you feel the need to.
I really cannot even see the reason why you would want to change your whole tank arrangement around to get a shark and a few rays. You already have an awesome puffer, one of the coolest types of triggers, and an a cool eel all co-existing in a 75 with a lion. You could transfer all of them into your new 240, give them tons of more space, plus, you put even more awesome fish in there such as another moray eel, a large wrasse (like a harlequin tusk!), and then maybe a large tang. In my opinion, that would be so much nicer of a tank, not only in terms of activity level of the occupants, but enjoyment for you and your guests, health and happiness of your fish (240 is still not very big for a shark), plus you can put a whole lot more in the tank if you stray away from the shark/ray idea.

stw280

Thanks alot for the ideas lion. I'm still giving a lot of thought to trying to keep the sharks or not we will see. The 240 gallon tank purchase fell through and today I bought a 210 gallon on sale from my lfs. With the smaller tank space I am reconsidering the whole shark idea. Although that is what I have always wanted to. It may not be the way to go now. I have about a month before I set up the new tank to think it over.

lion_crazz

A 210 is still a large tank. However, I am only telling you to reconsider because I have kept sharks before and I don't think it is worth it in anything less than a 500 or 600 gallon. I know it can be done in a 210 or 240, but they just don't move that much and I think people just get so much more enjoment watching fish, rather than a shark that will just sit there all day.

jon.316

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Sharks are great if you have an enormous tank, but like the person before me stated, they're not as enjoyable as fish in a smaller tank. Besides they need a lot of sandbed so you'd have to keep it to under 100lbs of lr.
I'd suggest keeping your stock of fish, adding an
emperor angel
harlequin tusk+ smaller banana wrasse
powder blue tang
tesseletta eel (this one is awsome if u want an eel)

stw280

Ya I am still thinking about everything I will begin cycling my tank at the end of the month. I am a big fan of the tesseletta eel. Thinking of getting a nice show angel instead of the shark as my focal point. Thanks for all the input.