75G Reef? N00B Questions! Please Help!

lmforbis

I'd stick with an HOB filter. Canisters require a lot of maintenance that few are willing to do consistently.
I started my 125 with all dead rock and one piece of live rock. It is all live now. I have no idea how much I have total but I'd guess at best 5% started live. I never buy live sand. It becomes live fast enough.
I'd up your tank size. A 40 gallon at the dollar a gallon sale at ***** would be a really good size. It only costs $20 more but will make it easier to succeed. It is only 6" longer than the 20L so the lights would be fine and you could add another fixture later. A 40 is deeper front to back which makes aquascaping much easier. The top to bottom depth is on the shallower side which makes it easier for the light to get to the coral. In my opinion the 40 breeder is the best of the smaller tanks. Many times better than a 55.

iidylii

You asked about buying fish online...I know many of these guys say they wouldn't recommend it but I on the other hand have had pretty good luck...I too haven't any stores around me for over an hour...so I order mine online almost everytime...as long as you follow a nice QT routine I think it works just fine...especially with the guarantee they usually offer...just my 2 cents

florida joe

.02 whole sale operations do not run copper as a rule. better LFS or on line stores do. that is why they can give you a guarantee

florida joe

the link to your light is not the pro, which one are you getting. if you are spending the money for the pro why not go with a bigger compatible tank

ThatFishThough

Well, that was the one that I was getting, LOL. I thought all of them were pros. That was the light in my price range. I would love to upgrade, but I don't have the space.... Or the money. I'll go downstairs, I have a whole list of large appliances, (filter, heater, light, etc.) and other stuff (Salt, net, rock, sand, etc.) along with fish, QT stuff, etc. that is all prices. It's a giant list. Then I'll get advise from you guys.