75G too small for a Huma Trigger?

J

jd_75g

Setting up a FOWLR and would like to get a huma trigger...I've heard some say 75g will work and others say tank needs to be larger. Thoughts?

crypt keeper

they grow to 10 inches and more. They need a very long tank. 8 feet for a full grown one. 75 would be okay for a baby. Like 2 inches for a few years. They grow very slow. Somebody actually had one in a 20 gallon for 5 years that post in this forum. Im one of those people that as long as you are willing to upgrade I have no issues with buying fish small and raising them in smaller tanks or I should say smaller tanks than what they should be in. I do it myself.

small triggers

yeah, a humma in a 75 will work for atleast 4 years if it is smaller than 2" when you get it. I got a little one and he hasnt even grown an inch in the 2 and a half years ive had him, and my clown and niger have atleast doubled in size,,,

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by small triggers
http:///forum/post/3003887
yeah, a humma in a 75 will work for atleast 4 years if it is smaller than 2" when you get it. I got a little one and he hasnt even grown an inch in the 2 and a half years ive had him, and my clown and niger have atleast doubled in size,,,
Agreed, I had a Huma for 5+ years in a previous tank, very slow grower, and mine never got to 5 inches...My concern would not be size by rather tankmates, a Huma in a 75 could get rather belligerent, being in a somewhat cramped space and be a bit nasty.

J

jd_75g

Thanks for the feedback. If I did decide to get a trigger it would be a small one with intention to upgrade to larger tank in a few years.
As for tank mates, thought about going with hawaiian blue puffer, and maybe a small yellow tang??

J

jd_75g

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3004125
I had that combo minus the tang and it worked out great.
crypt keeper,
What kind of set up do you currently have? I've actually been trying to decide whether I want to go with an agressive FOWLR or reef setup...
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on each.

startrfish

my humu did just fine for 1.5 years in my 30 gal. probably one of my best fishes i kept. imo, tank size for this trig is a little overstated. they grow very slowly. mine was a PIG and still didnt grow but maybe a half inch in that time frame. it is a very rewarding fish to keep. they have a great personality, and if you get lucky, every now and then you can hear it grunt and puff water at the sand or other fish just for fun

they seem to get along great with other sized tank mates. i even kept it with a puffer and never bothered him.

locoyo386

Hi there,
Originally Posted by JD_75G
http:///forum/post/3003058
Setting up a FOWLR and would like to get a huma trigger...I've heard some say 75g will work and others say tank needs to be larger. Thoughts?
The Humuhumu Trigger should be fine up untill it reaches around 8". If you want to keep till it reaches it's full length (10") than a bigger tank will be needed (120, 180).

small triggers

my humma in my 35g (for a little over a year)
and then the same in my 150g (pic taken a few months ago)
you can see how big everyone else got incomparison

buddyro

Hey Small Trig., I have a Clown & Humu together in my tank plus a Lunar Wrasse. What size is your tank(pics)? What else do you have in there(tankmates)? Thanks and your set-up looks good...

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by JD_75G
http:///forum/post/3004145
crypt keeper,
What kind of set up do you currently have? I've actually been trying to decide whether I want to go with an agressive FOWLR or reef setup...
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on each.
I had them in a 90. The only issue with aggressive is that the fish get huge and needs lots of space. They can be some of the best badass looking set ups IMO better than reefs when done right though. I have seen a few peoples 400+ gallons just take my breath away. IMo all reefs look the same. They have the same fish. Same corals. Unless you see some dude with a 700 gallon tank that he built his house around then they are all the same. Seen one reef tank seen them all.