75gl "dutch" tank w/ closed loop?

sign guy

not sure still running a few plans through my head, are you saying there are holes already drilled for the sump?
im going to bed but ill check back in tommorow

rookum

just tal;king bout the holes on the left and right sideof the tank for the cl. couldnt i just plumb thru that?

octoman

Originally Posted by rookum
just tal;king bout the holes on the left and right sideof the tank for the cl. couldnt i just plumb thru that?
I have the same tank. Mine has work flawless for over 4+ years with FOWLR. I recently ugraded my ligthing and started introducing soft corals about 6 months ago. So far so good.
The only difference with what you have is i used a different skimmer that i modified and a return pump https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/data/6/6d/6dcb04cf_vbattach180116.jpg connected to that little ni pple on the black strip

sign guy

no due to the fact if your power goes out youll have a flood

sign guy

what kinda flood are we talking, noahs arch? lol what can i do to prevent such an occurance?
all the water in the tank from the holes and up would be on your floor. id look at a overflow box somthing like a U tube deign. do you have a canopy? if so we could be going about this in all the wrong ways. if you do you could yank that skimmer out and use somthing like a super skimmer 125 as a HOT.

octoman

Originally Posted by sign guy
all the water in the tank from the holes and up would be on your floor. id look at a overflow box somthing like a U tube deign. do you have a canopy? if so we could be going about this in all the wrong ways. if you do you could yank that skimmer out and use somthing like a super skimmer 125 as a HOT.
Theres no way this can happen. Look at the design. The only way you can make a flood with this system is to overfill it to begin with. I have had my tank for over 4 years.

rookum

yeah with the closed loop sys with power outage there is no flooding. the water doesnt go anywhere. going to set it up tom. i'll post some pics and see what happens. thanks for all you input. should work out okay.

sign guy

Originally Posted by octoman
Theres no way this can happen. Look at the design. The only way you can make a flood with this system is to overfill it to begin with. I have had my tank for over 4 years.
I ment if he used his holes on the side of the tank to feed a sump under his stand. how do you have yours setup?

rookum

for right now i'm gonna set it up with a mag 9 for the closed loop with my uv incorperated in that loop.that will run around the back of the tank. then throw the bios i have been using in the back where the compartments are with a piece of filer floss on top. i'm gonna run with the skimmer that the tank has built in because i have heard good stuff about it. well have to see. the return pump is a mag 7 if i can get it to fit. if not then i'll use this crazy huge powerhead that it came with,forget what it is. using the stand for my 55 even though its only 16" wide, i have 3/4 plywood and 4x4's ready to frame it up on the back. only an 4" difference between the stand and the back of this 75. the 3/4 is going to extend another four inches so i should be covered.i would build a stand but it would be a waste cause in another couple months this hopefully will get turned into something much bigger. gonna plum it in and set up tomm. wish me luck

rookum

been b usy the last couple of days but i've got all the plumbing ready and will put up tomm. looking good. post pics soon

rookum

here are some pics just finished setting it up. wow what fun. gonna let everybody chill for the night then i will do my rock work. enjoy the pics. post some more when i do the rocks up. using a mag 9 for the closed loop and threw my uv in there. got a built in skimmer running off of a rio 600, we'll see how the works out. i'm just glad that i'm out of that old nasty 55 with the overflow box,what a pain. still have one more tank to switch but who know swhen that will happen. trying to get a 150 flat back hex with the works from my guy but we will see. enjoy

rookum

yeah its for a return, but if i dont have it hooked up it works in reverse. letting the water come in from the bottom and into the chamber where the return powerhead is. not sure what i want to do. either put a "t" from the powerhead and hook it up that way or let it go in reverse. maybe just plug it up. we'll see. think it looks so nice. my first acrylic. nice and light, and i got it for free, thats the best part. just hope the skimmer will handle the load.

reefkprz

I was looking at it if you put a small powerhead on the grey

[hr]
wont it circulate water back to the beggining of the sump section after the skimmer? this would be a great way to refilter water and increase your turnover rate in the sump section.

rookum

i put the bio balls in those sections,there is a drip tray on top with the floss. that black strip when hooked up just returns right back to the tank on the inside at the bottom on the oppisite side. either way its good flow yeah?

reefkprz

Thats what I wasnt seeing. it goes through the partition. I would put a powerhead on it just to increase flow in a hard to reach area. or cap it off so water flowing back through has to travel through the filter. (just suggestions)