8 gal bio cube picture diary!!! Start day 10/28/07

cpbirds407

I just started my bio cube (8 gallons) Yesterday and I will have a diary. I will post pics as often as I can. I'm keeping this tank just because I have a Babgaii cardinal that has babies in the mouth and as soon as he releases them, I will put them in the 8 gal biocube. I also have a cleaner (skunk) shrimp with eggs and I think I will put her in this tank just so she can lay the eggs and then I will return her to my 75 reef.
If you have any suggestions or comments, please feel free to speak your mind.
I've never bred these things, so I'm not an expert. So if you see something that I'm doing wrong along the way, please reply and let me know.
I currently have about 10 pounds of live sand, and 6-7 pounds of tonga branch live rock. I'm planning to add corals in this tank to make it more interesting. (as soon as it cycles)
Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
Charlie.

paintballer768

Im not sure how successful breeding of shrimp will be in a tank like this with such strong flow. Once they hatch theyre in a larval state if Im not mistaken, the filter may be the death of those.
But for the tank, looking good. Keep the levels tested, Im sure you know the drill.

peef

I would say go for it with the cardinal but that its not worth your time with the shrimp. The cardinal will probably eat all the floating eggs and larva. Good luck though try it and keep us posted I would love to hear of a success story.

cpbirds407

Originally Posted by paintballer768
Im not sure how successful breeding of shrimp will be in a tank like this with such strong flow. Once they hatch theyre in a larval state if Im not mistaken, the filter may be the death of those.
But for the tank, looking good. Keep the levels tested, Im sure you know the drill.

Ok. Hold on... So how exactly do you breed these shrimps? Does anyone knows? I want the challenge of it and I will wanna do it!

tmgpp

ya, and i want a tank raised one. i only have tank raised inhabitants in my 12 nano. and i want a shrimp. my lfs says it cant be done w/ cleaner shrimp.

cpbirds407

Ok. I just tested the water and I'm going thru a little cycle. I have no fish there yet but I did added live sand and live rock from my existing tank.
Ammonia-.25
Nirtite-.50
Nitrate-0
PH-8.0
Calcium-410
Magnisium-1300
So a little bit to go I think I'll be ready. I'm currently adding stability for the first 7 days. After my cycle, I'll be adding the "preagnant male bangaii cardinal". :)
That's the end of day 3

klowns

Great start...........I'm thinking about picking up another nano. Do you find the 8 gallon hard to maintain?

cpbirds407

Nope! Considering that is only a week old! LOl No maintanance at all! LOL :)
I have a 29 and it's doing great! I love it!

paintballer768

Originally Posted by tmgpp
ya, and i want a tank raised one. i only have tank raised inhabitants in my 12 nano. and i want a shrimp. my lfs says it cant be done w/ cleaner shrimp.
If what your LFS says is correct, my cleaner shrimp is awesome for a wild one. Hangs out under my little cave I made and eats almost anything. This is I think the end of week 1 of him being in there too. Id go for it.
And for raising baby cleaner shrimps, to be honest I dont know the whole process. I do know they are like butterflies in the sense they go through a few stages before they turn into actual shrimp.

cpbirds407

I would gladly add more pics but it's still the same way since it's cycling. As soon as I add something new (next week) I will post more pics! Thanks for your interest Keri!!!