8 gallon Biocube Lights Question

ddiaz386

My actinic lights just recentyl went out on my biocube, I bought new lights but they still do not work
does any body have an idea why???????????

scsinet

More than likely it's becuase it's not the lamp that's failed, it's something else... but exactly what has failed is what we need to find out.
If I'm not mistaken, that tank accepts more than one lamp... an actinic lamp and another, like a daylight lamp... the two lamps should be interchangeable.
What happens when you swap the two lamps around? We need to find out if the problem follows the lamp, of if the same socket will not light any lamp that is placed in it.

scsinet

Provided the sockets and wiring do not show any obvious degredation (rust, corrosion, salt creep, burning, melting, yada), then likely your ballast has flown south. I did a little research and found some reports that suggest that these ballasts have a habit of going out.
You can either order a new ballast (google nanotuners) which will cost about $80 for a kit you need to assemble, or you can probably get a new one from the manufacturer.
Inside the ballast pack is likely two individual ballast units, one for each lamp - though I'm not sure as I don't have any direct experience with this unit. If you are willing to take on the project and aren't afraid of working with electricity, you may be able to save some cash by replacing just the ballast inside, rather than the whole deal.

spanko

There are two ballasts and they are remote. I suggest moving the ballast from the light that is working to the one that is not and see if it works.

spanko

Yeah it really is, especially since the Biocubes are notorious for having ballast failures. However Oceanic (or whoever owns it now) is very good at replacing the defective ones for free.

ddiaz386

Appreciate the help but first I would have to understand where the ballast is
once i open the hood all i see is the two socket to insert the lights and a bunch of wiring, do i have to dig deeper than this? What exactly does a balast look like soory guys im no electrician

T

trasler

I have the oceanic 29 gallon bio cube. I believe the ballast is the part on the power cord ( the box and plugs in to the power cord) I am also having trouble with my blue accintic lights, there not staying on, they go off and on. I am gonna try to get a replacment bulb and try that.

spanko

Originally Posted by trasler
http:///forum/post/3146553
I have the oceanic 29 gallon bio cube. I believe the ballast is the part on the power cord ( the box and plugs in to the power cord) I am also having trouble with my blue accintic lights, there not staying on, they go off and on. I am gonna try to get a replacment bulb and try that.
Move the bulb that is not flashing to the socket where the bulb is flashing. If the moved bulb does not flash you know you need a new bulb.

T

trasler

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3146559
Move the bulb that is not flashing to the socket where the bulb is flashing. If the moved bulb does not flash you know you need a new bulb.
Actually I worded that wrong it doesn't go off and on it just goes off.

scsinet

Originally Posted by ddiaz386
http:///forum/post/3146560
I think I only saw one box on the cord and theirs only one cord coming from the hood
How old is this tank?
Can you take pics of the underside of the hood, the back, and any associated cords?

ddiaz386

about a year and a half old yea I can do that later on in the day when i get home, i only see one rectangular box on the power cord coming from the hood

spanko

Originally Posted by ddiaz386
http:///forum/post/3146560
I think I only saw one box on the cord and theirs only one cord coming from the hood
Everywhere I look points to two ballasts.
"Oceanic Biocube 8g Ballast Upgrade Kit
ired of your ballast going out frequently and waiting for your warranty replacement ballast? We are here to offer you a premium high-quality alternative in our ballast upgrade kit featuring two Fulham Work Horse ballasts that retain the ability to individually control bulbs as before, all built into a remote aluminum ballast box. The Ballast Upgrade kit utilizes existing dual power cords and quick disconnects.
Includes:
* 2 x Fulham Workhorse Ballast
* 1 x Aluminum Ballast Box
* Plus all required hardware"

scsinet

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3146570
Everywhere I look points to two ballasts.
"Oceanic Biocube 8g Ballast Upgrade Kit
ired of your ballast going out frequently and waiting for your warranty replacement ballast? We are here to offer you a premium high-quality alternative in our ballast upgrade kit featuring two Fulham Work Horse ballasts that retain the ability to individually control bulbs as before, all built into a remote aluminum ballast box. The Ballast Upgrade kit utilizes existing dual power cords and quick disconnects.
Includes:
* 2 x Fulham Workhorse Ballast
* 1 x Aluminum Ballast Box
* Plus all required hardware"
Yeah basically this is an aftermarket upgrade. Apparently it is there to address the frequent failure problem with Oceanic's ballasts - it allows you to cut the cords off your existing ballasts, and wire them to this kit which uses upgraded third party ballasts.
That's the one I was referring to in my earlier post. I can't find factory stock ballasts.