8 gallon Biocube Lights Question

spanko

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3146574
Yeah basically this is an aftermarket upgrade. Apparently it is there to address the frequent failure problem with Oceanic's ballasts - it allows you to cut the cords off your existing ballasts, and wire them to this kit which uses upgraded third party ballasts.
That's the one I was referring to in my earlier post. I can't find factory stock ballasts.
Yeah I know, just using that to show the OP that there are two ballasts. This allows the ability to time the lights on sequence. He seems to be having a hard time with this.

ddiaz386

thanx im going to have to go home and take another look i thought i only saw one cord with one ballast but im going to have to check when i get home to see if i have two and maybe I can call oceanic so they can replace it, regardless i dont think its fixable and i am going to have to buy the part

spanko

Do the swap first. Then you will know if the ballast is the problem or if you hae another problem in the socket or wiring.

ddiaz386

i will have to find the two ballast first, so spanko your saying their are two power cords each with one ballast?

spanko

That is what everything I am looking at online is showing.
I have a 29 biocube and I know there are two main power chords and one small power pack for the moon light led's. The two main powere chords allow you to have each bulb on timers so that you can have the actinics come on before the daylights to simulate sunrise, and go off after the daylights to simulate sunset.

ddiaz386

ok so i go home and check and i do have two ballast, i change them and all of a sudden my actinic lights work but of course now my daylight does not, so i am guessing that the ballast are bad, but one question if the ballast is bad should the fans still work. THe ballast connected to the daylight also turns on the fans, the daylight wont come on but the fans will.

spanko

You have one bad ballast. Contact the manufacturer for a new one. In the mean time put the ballast that works back on the daylight bulb.

jonk520c

i had this same problem I called the manufacturer for the bio cube. and they sent me free of charge new ballasts. the ones you showed a picture of are the old style. they were happy to replace them for free.
if you have to leave a message with them do so they called me back in less than 24hrs