80g reef stocklist

dstoneburg

So my tank is completly setup and cycled. All params are good.
Its an 80g bowfront
150lbs of LR
80 lbs LS
20g sump - 15g of that is a refugium
2 korlias #4's
Internal overflow
And a DAS-x1 skimmer that is arriving in the mail Soon(like shoulda been yesterday!)
Currently in the tank is some kind of zoa and some snails.
My proposed stocklist is..
Tailspot Blenny
Blue Hippo Tang
Black & White False Percula
Percula Clownfish
Firefish Goby
Hawaiian Spotted Puffer or Valentini Puffer (Both said to be monitored in a reef)
Sixline Wrasse
Cleaner Shrimp (2-3)
Maybe's---Need advice as I dont know much about these guys.
Dwarf angel
Bannerfish
Blue Linckia Starfish
Fromia Starfish
And then a cleanup crew. The question is I only really have one large fish, can I do another? What would you suggest? Any changes you would make to this list? thanks!

aquaknight

For the clownfish, are you talking about having a mixed pair? A B&W and a regular or two pairs? And if you mean bannerfish as in Heniochus, you have/will have two large fish, the Heni being better suited in an 80gal (what are the dimensions outta curiosity?) I would avoid the linckia too, at least for several months before the tank matured.

dstoneburg

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
For the clownfish, are you talking about having a mixed pair? A B&W and a regular or two pairs? And if you mean bannerfish as in Heniochus, you have/will have two large fish, the Heni being better suited in an 80gal (what are the dimensions outta curiosity?) I would avoid the linckia too, at least for several months before the tank matured.
Thanks for the respone. A pair of each would be ideal for me, as I love the colors of both percs, but if thats too much then just one black and white and one regular. I revised the list a little and added the banner and didnt change that. Sorry its a little confusing. As well I believe the dimensions are..48x18x24.

aquaknight

That's why I was asking, two clown pairs will likely cause problems. The tank's technically a 90gal, I believe. The tank might be a bit active for a hawaiian bluespotted, esp. with that hippo tang and if you really don't have any experience getting a stubborn fish to eat, I would really recommend against it.
Other then that, seems all good. Maybe look for another tang behinds the hippo, they get pretty aggressive. And probably would skip the firefish as he will likely be out muscled...

mcbdz

Originally Posted by dstoneburg
So my tank is completly setup and cycled. All params are good.
Its an 80g bowfront
150lbs of LR
80 lbs LS
20g sump
Soon to be HOB refugium(DIY old bio-wheel filter)
2 korlias #4's
Internal overflow
And a DAS-x1 skimmer that is arriving in the mail Soon(like shoulda been yesterday!)
Tailspot Blenny
Blue Hippo Tang
Black & White False Percula
Percula Clownfish
Firefish Goby
Hawaiian Spotted Puffer or Valentini Puffer (Both said to be monitored in a reef)
Sixline Wrasse
Cleaner Shrimp (2-3)
Maybe's---Need advice as I dont know much about these guys.
Dwarf angel
Bannerfish
Blue Linckia Starfish
Fromia Starfish
And then a cleanup crew. The question is I only really have one large fish, can I do another? What would you suggest? Any changes you would make to this list? thanks!
Tang needs a larger tank

Pick one pair of clowns, not a good idea to mix
Puffers will eat cleanup crew

Bannerfish do better in a school from what I have heard which would need a bigger tank

Both stars are very delicate and will need at min. 100lbs mature(1yr old ) lr and very pristine water conditions.So, deside after a year and some reseach

Cleanup crew should come first. Take your time and add only 1 or a pair if have to, fish at a time. Give your tank 3 weeks to adjust before the next addition. Make sure you research each fish before you go to purchase it. Good Luck.

dstoneburg

So my tank is completly setup and cycled. All params are good. I purchased this tank used. It had been setup for two years. I added and cured another 100lbs of LR. Changed from a CC to sand substrate. Switched from a bio-ball sump to a sump/refug combo. Switched from regular one strip lights to MH which should be ordered soon.
Its an 80g bowfront with internal overflow
150lbs of LR
80 lbs LS
2 korlias #4's
Tailspot Blenny
Yellow Tang
Kole tang
Pair Percula Clownfish(Can I do two pairs? As in four fish?)
Purple Firefish Goby
Hawaiian Spotted Puffer or Valentini Puffer (Im ok with the eating of the cleanup crew. this is one of my favorite fish)
Sixline Wrasse
Cleaner Shrimp (2-3)
Majestic angel
Starfish.. This tank is technically two years old, all the LR has been in it for two years, the only thing new is the sand. So when the time does come to where I feel conformtable to add starfish will these two do well together?
Blue Linckia Starfish
Fromia Starfish
Will 2-3 cleaner shrimp work out?
Can I do two pairs(four fish total) of false percs? Ive seen them in numerous setups and wondering what the secret is? I would ideally like to do 2 false percs and 2 black/white percs. Or four false percs. Whatever combo would work?
What would you recomend, ive never had a reef before so im thinking color contrast. Is what I proposed going to look well together?
Am I missing something that I should have?
Also what am I looking at for a cleanup crew? How many snails? And what else?
Now this is my first SW tank and I am new to the whole thing. I do think my setup is well planned out (atleast I hope I spent too long researching this setup). And I think the stocklist is pretty solid as well. A few changes may be needed, thats why I need your guys's advice! Whatchall think?
Thanks!

mcbdz

Originally Posted by dstoneburg
So my tank is completly setup and cycled. All params are good. I purchased this tank used. It had been setup for two years. I added and cured another 100lbs of LR. Changed from a CC to sand substrate. Switched from a bio-ball sump to a sump/refug combo. Switched from regular one strip lights to MH which should be ordered soon.
Its an 80g bowfront with internal overflow
150lbs of LR
80 lbs LS
2 korlias #4's
Tailspot Blenny
Yellow Tang
Kole tang
Pair Percula Clownfish(Can I do two pairs? As in four fish?)
Purple Firefish Goby
Hawaiian Spotted Puffer or Valentini Puffer (Im ok with the eating of the cleanup crew. this is one of my favorite fish)
Sixline Wrasse
Cleaner Shrimp (2-3)
Majestic angel
Starfish.. This tank is technically two years old, all the LR has been in it for two years, the only thing new is the sand. So when the time does come to where I feel conformtable to add starfish will these two do well together?
Blue Linckia Starfish
Fromia Starfish
Will 2-3 cleaner shrimp work out?
Can I do two pairs(four fish total) of false percs? Ive seen them in numerous setups and wondering what the secret is? I would ideally like to do 2 false percs and 2 black/white percs. Or four false percs. Whatever combo would work?
What would you recomend, ive never had a reef before so im thinking color contrast. Is what I proposed going to look well together?
Am I missing something that I should have?
Also what am I looking at for a cleanup crew? How many snails? And what else?
Now this is my first SW tank and I am new to the whole thing. I do think my setup is well planned out (atleast I hope I spent too long researching this setup). And I think the stocklist is pretty solid as well. A few changes may be needed, thats why I need your guys's advice! Whatchall think?
Thanks!
Your cleaner shrimp will be eaten by your puffer also.
Your tank is too small for the tangs If you have to have one I'd go with just one
I'm not sure about the 2 prs., I know it could work in a large tank but not sure if 80gal is large enough.
Again very iffy with those starfish. Usually see recommened a 100gal or more with lots of live rock due to not really knowing what they eat and you can't spot feed this species. I would wait for more input. and continue with lots of research on each one not just asking on here. Some people have had success, a lot haven't. It can take 12-18 months to know if you starved your starfish to death so
Good Luck

dstoneburg

Thank you for your response. from the information you and some others have given me I decided to go against the puffer. Here is my current proposed stocklist.
Tailspot Blenny
Fiji Foxface
Yellow Tang
Kole tang
Pair Percula Clownfish
Pair of Black And White
Purple Firefish Goby.
Sixline Wrasse
Cleaner Shrimp: 3
Lawnmower - Orange Spotted
Turbo/Astrea Snail: 12
Nasssarius Snail: 12
Cleaner Shrimp: 3
Emerald Crab: 6
Scarlet Hermit Crab: 5
Blueleg Hermit Crab: 10
Cerith Snail : 10
Queen Conch: 2
My biggest concern with this is, I know alot of people are advised to add alot of CUC and then they just end up starving to death because it was overpopulated. Is this a fair amount or should I cut some back?