90 gal overflow box

stevel

I got my new 90gal tank now I need a overflow box and return pump.I was thinking of the CPR cs-90 overflow and mag 7 return pump.It would be for a 20 gal. sump.Would this be a good set up or should I go up to the cs-100 and then a larger pump?
Steve

mal

I've got the same cpr on my 80, My return pump is a Rio 2700 @ about 700-ish gph. I also have 4 ph's in the tank to help circulation. I have no experience with Mag pumps but many here on the board use them. For my new tank I'm using life guard pumps.
It all depends on how much tank turn over you want your surface skimmer and return pump to generate. A water turn over of at least 10 X the tank capacity per hour is recommended. Many people use a combo of phs' and the return pump to accomplish this turn over rate, or more. I would definately consider the larger sump. More total water volume helps maintain good water chemistry. With the exception of blowing your tank inhabitants around, I don't think there is such a creature as "too much water or circulation."

stevel

Ok so I think I should go with the cs-100 witch is 800 gph can anyone suggest a good pump that would go in the sump and match that water flow?
Steve

mal

Do a search for Mag pumps on this forum, also try Life Guard pumps, you should get plenty of info / experiences. The only thing about the LG pumps, I'm getting is they are not submersible. I think the Mag pumps are.
The other thing with a CPR overflow is you may want to hook the siphon tube to a ph, that way if the power goes out, you get instant suction, starting the siphon on the overflow. I had one small flood that taught me that little trick. ;)

stevel

I changed my mind about the CPR overflow after doing a lot of research and ordered a Lifereef instead and a Mag 950. Now I have to figure out my lighting.
Steve