90 gal w/150# rock how long to cycle

portugee

Hello all,
I just set up my new tank 5 days ago. Its a 90 gallon show setup with 150# of fiji rock and a fluval 404.
Its looks awesome!
2 quick questions
#1 Ive heard live rock will cycle a tank very quickly. How long is this setup going to take to cycle?
#2 Is a fluval 404 and 150# of live rock enough filtration?
Thanks for your insite.

fshhub

welcome aboard
1)??? It is anyones guess, each tank will be different, even if you were to use the same size tank, same amount of rock and same equipment as i did, I could not even begin to try and guess at a real answer. Sorry but there is no way of telling. I have seen cyclees last form a little under 2 weeks to nearly 3 months. IMO, when setting up a new tank you should expect it to be up to 6 months(rare case, but.....) anything les is a great surprise, I do know it is hard and tempting, but patience and waiting are the best 2 things you could have right now. In the mean time, you could use your time doing research on your stocking plans and that will help to pass the time.
2) I would get a skimmer and a couple of powerheads, 150 lbs is a darn good place to start for lr for a 90 gallon tank. Once it is arranged how you would want it, then you can see if you want more or not, but 150 sounds real nice, IMO.
I have a question, what are you using for substrate?? If it is sand and you do not intend to purchase all LIVE sand, then now would be a good time to get the sand too. It can be put in while cycling, to give it a chance to start growing and seeding(and setling, so it is not cloudy) at the same tiem you are cycleing yoru tank.

portugee

Thanks for the reply Fshhub,
6 months is quite a bit longer than the 3-4 weeks the pet store quoted but really not suprising, I know these things take time.
I had a 55 gal with undergravel setup and dead corals and experienced a lot of casualties because of over stocking and lack of patience. Then moved up to a 125 gal with about 60# of live rock. That seemed to be a better setup but still didnt feel ideal with the under gravel, fluval and so little live rock for a big tank.
90 gal. with 150# of live rock looks great and shows more potential of being the setup Ive always wanted.
I didnt go with under gravel this time instead I used two bags of fine crushed coral as substate. I stacked the rock as high as I could to give more viewing area, the rock almost reaches the top.
I do have two 402 powerheads but only one in the tank right now. Its shooting across the top length wise to create waves in the surface. Im thinking of ways to hide the second one in the rock somehow.
I not firmiliar with protein skimmers, what do they do?
Can I use live sand now after the tank is setup with crushed coral? Whats the benefit?

fshhub

a dsb(sand bed of 4 to 6 inches) has denitrifying abilities, meaning it can and does break down nitrates into nitrogen gas, which will exit your tank through bubbles
and 6 months is not the norm, but as i mentioned, it is nicer to be pleasantly surprised when it falls short, i would say mostof us see th 4 to 6 week range, but i would not bank on any time frame
do you have a test kit, if so, use it if not get it, do not listen to stores or whatnot, do your own tests daily and lst that be your guide for the cycle
you can use cc and sand, but it will seperate and the sand will fall through the cc eventually, unless your ratios of cc is low(1/2 inc of cc in 5 inches of sand would be no problem)
a skimmer is kinda like a filter, in that it removes the excess nutrients from the water so to control your ammonia and nitrites
i would get at least 2 more powerheads, maybe 3 depending, we have 5, plus an emporer bio wheel which we use for circulation(expensive powerhead) without media or filters IN OUR 75

fshhub

was a fowlr, now going reef.
IMO, current is an important key. it may sound like a lot, but it is not, when you consider that there are different levels and obstructions and such. it is no where near whirlpooling on me. YOu relaly cannot tell by putting your hand in the tank. YOu do want water movement.