90 gallon on raised floor ... kind of worried.

E

evilfishtank

i just got my new 90 gallon set up yesterday. and i have a raised house (no foundation) I had a contractor come out a few days before and check out under the house. He said the floor will hold the tank fine.. i have it against a wall , he said it was a solid chain wall. explained it as not singular pillars supporting the wall but a solid concrete base. With 2x10's supporting the floor. he said think about you in the bath tub. combination of all that water and my big @$$ shouldnt be far from the same weight. *shrug* it is spread out over a few joist however.
As of right now the tank is up and running and the floor seems fine but if i walk by it and just toss my weight up and down i can see the tank wobble.
anyone out there with construction experience have any 2 cents to put in? is it just normal for the floor to "bounce" like that. Im not sure i could ever achieve a "solid" feel without a foundation.
thanks in advance

sepulatian

Originally Posted by evilfishtank
http:///forum/post/3078330
i just got my new 90 gallon set up yesterday. and i have a raised house (no foundation) I had a contractor come out a few days before and check out under the house. He said the floor will hold the tank fine.. i have it against a wall , he said it was a solid chain wall. explained it as not singular pillars supporting the wall but a solid concrete base. With 2x10's supporting the floor. he said think about you in the bath tub. combination of all that water and my big @$$ shouldnt be far from the same weight. *shrug* it is spread out over a few joist however.
As of right now the tank is up and running and the floor seems fine but if i walk by it and just toss my weight up and down i can see the tank wobble.
anyone out there with construction experience have any 2 cents to put in? is it just normal for the floor to "bounce" like that. Im not sure i could ever achieve a "solid" feel without a foundation.
thanks in advance
My tank water moves if my son jumps by it, or even runs around too hard. He is 5'11 and 209 lbs. You could park a truck in my house. You can have it checked out again, but if the contractor says it is fine then I wouldn't worry.

locoyo386

http:///forum/post/3078330
thanks in advance
Hi there,
There are two things in play here, the amount of wait your floor can support and how much will it deflect under that weight. Your floor joists might be able to support the weight, but it could create a big deflection. When this is the case, the floors fill more bouncy and wobble more. As long as the person you asked said it was ok to put that amount of weight on the floor, than it should be fine. If you are still concerned let me know I can help you figure out if it will be ok with that weight.

E

evilfishtank

awesome.. i appreciate you guys.. i think now i can sleep tonight....

E

evilfishtank

great, you gave me peace... and then snatched it away ....
i shouldnt have gotten out of the bed to check the post...
thanks... lol

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/3078370
great, you gave me peace... and then snatched it away ....
i shouldnt have gotten out of the bed to check the post...
thanks... lol
Oh wait, you will have all kinds of crazy dreams...You are a salt water aquarist now...

jackri

Wait till you adjust the protein skimmer in your sleep over the wifes head and she wonders how crazy the person she married really is

sepulatian

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/3078428
Wait till you adjust the protein skimmer in your sleep over the wifes head and she wonders how crazy the person she married really is

HaHa!! Don't forget the dream where the entire tank becomes floppy. You try to cary it like Santa's sack over your back and not spill anything... there is the dream about trying to fit all of your fish in a bucket and run them to safety too... LOL SW fish keeping makes people a lil nutzy sometimes

locoyo386

Originally Posted by Flip_x
http:///forum/post/3078458
i heard from my friends dad thats a contractor that a 1" square of floor can hold 100lbs..
Hi there,
Typical floor are desing for a load of 36-56 pounds per square foot. 100 pounds per 1 square in. equates to 100*144=14,400 pounds per square foot. Not to be rude or anything but that's not possible unless the floor is made out of concrete. Also note that not all floors are build the same way, In fact the floors are designed to individual loading and may varie quite a bit from floor to floor.

locoyo386

Originally Posted by mkroher
http:///forum/post/3078466
don't you mean 1 square FOOT?
That would be more reasonable, although floors are still not designed for that much weight. Hall ways and balconies might, but not your typical floor space area.

E

evilfishtank

well i know he said that most houses use 2x6's under the floor where mine uses 2x10's and they run straight into a chain wall(solid concrete base) ive had some pm's saying people have the same setup and it works fine.. either way.. im bracing it this weekend.... mostly so i can sleep in peace. but.... from the 3 - 4 other contractors i talked to said that it would be perfectly fine but i will still get that bouncy feel if you come bee bopping through.
also i remembered i had 4 friends and i standing around setting up the tank so ,, it had all its weight plus about another thousand from us (corn fed mississippi boys) and it didnt even act like it was stressed.
contractor also said the stand is moderatly high ... the whole of the tank is 2-3 feet off the ground and reaches another 2 feet up... he said with the bulk weight being that high off the floor even the smallest movements will be seen at the top via the water level swaying.

small triggers

mine sways also, its spread out over 3 joists if you put pillars under it just dont flex them to hard or you could bring up the rest of the floor and stress the surrounding area of the tank