90 gallon set up + 20 gallon refuge

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbert http:///t/397400/90-gallon-set-up-20-gallon-refuge/20#post_3542057
Hmmm. Ok. Well then I take it this little 3G won't work for me then.
I agree that a 3g would be too small. Plus the hex shape is a problem also.

I would look at plastic storage containers at your local wall mart. They have 30g for $10 or so. And a smaller one for less for the sump part.

What I did on my old 55g was cram in a ~10g with the long measurement for and aft. The stand wall and center brace supported the sides.

I also put a couple slats under the part the stuck out the back. That supported it off the floor.

This also had an additional benefit in that the drain from the tank was then a straight shot. Which made plumbing much easier also.

From that you could run a through-the-side type overflow near the top to drain into a smaller sump.

That way the refugium section would run at a constant high water level and the water levels in the sump would change from evaporation and water additions. Makes adjustments much easier also.

I would also drwa some lines on the sump to make sure you don't overfill.

my .02

scottbert

Thanks for the help! I was at my lfs yesterday, they have a nice looking HOB refugium for not a bad price so I may go that way...pretty much just hang it, attach a pump and good to go.

beaslbob

I have also heard of people using old hob filters and replaceing the filter media with chaeto and adding a light.
I used egg crate to partition my 55g so the back 3" was a refugium area. nitrates dropped to unmeasureable levels in 3 weeks. LOL

d-murray24

I recommend You buying a 20gal or more tank off craigslist or ***** when they do dollar a gallon sales and making your own sump refug plus the HOB refug is way to small for your set up and will not help you with anything but give you additional water flow meaning you want a sump refug that you can store as much Marco, chatto, live rock live sand and other bio media as you can and grow lots of good bacteria there where you display life stock can't eat or anything disturbing the best advice when it comes to sump refuge is the bigger the better
I want one day to have a 180 gallon or more sump refuge to supply my 90 gallon set up and station it in my basement were its alway cool and want need chiller think of all the being its that'll provide a small setup

scottbert

I like the idea beaslbob! Easy, affordable, and I can do it myself in 15 minutes...done!
Now I can go out and get an auto top off instead!

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbert http:///t/397400/90-gallon-set-up-20-gallon-refuge/20#post_3542102
I like the idea beaslbob! Easy, affordable, and I can do it myself in 15 minutes...done!
Now I can go out and get an auto top off instead!
Or you can just setup some kind of drip system especially with kalk (mrs wages pickling lime).

And adjust the drip rate to slow down water level lowering to where a top off every week or two is all that is needed.

And to save more money use the diy 2 part system.

and to save more money use common landscap rocks from a limestone quarry.

etc etc etc.

d-murray24

calcium supplement for improved calcium delivery. Kalk 2 contains calcium, strontium, and magnesium in the same ionic ratios found in aragonite its feature increases the usefulness of Kalk to reef-building invertebrates such as corals, clams, and calcareous algae. Provides temporary alkalinity and helps maintain pH within the desired range when used as instructed

beaslbob

Quote:Originally Posted by scottbert http:///t/397400/90-gallon-set-up-20-gallon-refuge/20#post_3542113
What is kalk?? And 2 part system??

kalk is calciun hydroxide (i think LOL). Mrs wages pickling lime. put a tea spoon in a gallon of water (or do) and let it drip into the tank to replace evaporative water.
diy two part uses very inexpensive chemicals to maintain calcium , alk, and magnesium. Like calcium chloride, baking soda, epsom salts and magnesium chloride. All of which can be bought in bulk with the magnesium chloride being the most expensive at $25 for 50 pound bags.
Google diy two part to get the full instructions.
and both are not necessary unless you want corraline algae and most especially if you have hard corals.
my .02