90 Gallon Tank

Is $484.00 a good price for a brand new 90 gallon "perfecto" aquarium, pine stand, glass top, and regular flourescent light? (there is a sale in a local pet store)

renogaw

is it reef ready?
EDIT: i just got my 90 gallon RR with the overflow kit and a stand for a little more than that. you'll be throwing out the lights and the glass tops since they are going to be basically useless in a salt tank.

lesleybird

Originally Posted by renogaw
is it reef ready?
EDIT: i just got my 90 gallon RR with the overflow kit and a stand for a little more than that. you'll be throwing out the lights and the glass tops since they are going to be basically useless in a salt tank.

Hey I always use the glass tops. Why do you assume that they are useless and most people don't use them?????

nick76

well with a reef u would use lights that are put over the tank and most people dont use a top or they use eggcrate.
At my lfs they have a 90 gallon with overflow(no top) for about $230
So im not sure if your getting the best deal however prices are defferent all around.

renogaw

Originally Posted by Lesleybird
Hey I always use the glass tops. Why do you assume that they are useless and most people don't use them?????
1) traps in all the heat from our lighting, plus prevents good evaporation, causing systems to have heat trouble
2) traps in all the carbon dioxide, preventing good oxygenation
3) salt constantly gets all over the glass from surface agitation, reducing the light's effectiveness (erm, is that a word?)

andy51632

I paid $300 for my 90gal tank(not RR), and 250 for my stand. They were both perfecto. I wish I would of known I was planning on saltwater at the time because I would have purchased a RR tank and stand.
What filter are you planning on using and what are you planning on keeping in the tank?

college kid

Originally Posted by Nick76
well with a reef u would use lights that are put over the tank and most people dont use a top or they use eggcrate.
I have a set of PC lights from orbit, and on the directions it says to leave a top on the tank, should I disregard that as there is a plastic covering over the lights. And what is eggcrate?

m0nk

Originally Posted by Trey The Salt
It isn't "reef ready" but I already have a filter that will work with it and a metal halide light system that will work.
Personally, I wouldn't get a tank that big that isn't Reef Ready. HOB filters just don't cut it, imo. Especially when you're dealing with that sort of money, might as well spend a few bucks more and get it right.

m0nk

Originally Posted by college kid
To eveyone out there, what do you use on top of your fish tank?
I use egg crate (lighting diffuser). You need the open air hitting your water otherwise the level of dissolved oxygen is too low and your livestock (coral, inverts, and fish) could get stressed. Then it'll be that much easier for something small to come along and kill them off. This is one reason why water quality is that much more important in one of the all-in-one nano tank setups. I've run one for a while and it does great, provided I changed 15+% of the water weekly.

dragonzim

Your LFS probably wont have eggcrate but you can get it at any home improvement store like Home Depot or Lowes or at a lighting supply place. If you go looking for it, it is called lighting diffuser panels. You'll get looked at funny if you call it eggcrate :)

m0nk

Originally Posted by college kid
Does a LFS usually have eggcrate? And the evaporation won't hurt my lights at all right?
Evaporation won't hurt your lights. You won't find egg crate at a LFS, but you can find it at Lowe's or Home Depot. Just ask for the lighting diffuser and then look for the one called egg crate. If you want to know what it looks like check out my latest tank diary:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/273749/m0nks-55-gallon-diary-yup-heres-another

scrapman

Originally Posted by renogaw
1) traps in all the heat from our lighting, plus prevents good evaporation, causing systems to have heat trouble
2) traps in all the carbon dioxide, preventing good oxygenation
3) salt constantly gets all over the glass from surface agitation, reducing the light's effectiveness (erm, is that a word?)

Soooooo true.... never use a top unless you have to (jumping fish).

spanko

Eggcrate is the white plastic about 1" squares that are over the lights in suspended ceilings. At the Lowe's here in my town they are located inthe sam isle as the suspended ceiling panels and rails.

mr. green

One thing about the stand, make sure it is good an sturdy. The last thing you want is a stand that will show stress and cracks from the weight in a month or two. The aquarium is heavy enough at 90 (that's what mine is) let alone all that water and equipment.