911 call - Help me save my fishes

krazekajin

So here is the scoop. Last night around 11pm I did a water change on my 29g and forgot to turn my pumps back on. Luckily I did have a maxijet 600 running. So I get to my tank and my coral are all doing good, but my yellow tang (I know my tank is too small, but he is a little tank and I am trying to upgrade to a 90) is laying on the bottom breathing heavy. I think I lost my purple pseudochromis. My green clown goby and yellow clown goby are doing great.
Should I do anything to my yellow tang, or just hope once the the oxygen levels in my tank go up, he might make it?

mr. limpid

It sounds like there might be other problems, since you did have water movment. Have you checked other things temp., signs of ick, test water salt level, PH, Ammonia, etc. Also the water you changed are you using RO water?

krazekajin

The yellow tang is doing better now. He is up and swimming. I can't think of any other problems. my temp was actually a little low 77degress (normally my tank is around 80degrees.
no ick. I don't change with RO because I don't have one. But it has never been a problem before.

mr. limpid

RO water is the way to go for good water quality. Most LFS sell it foe around .50 a gal. If using tap water minerals will build up in time in your tank, this is not good. A good RO unit will also save you money in the long run the water also makes great coffee lol. glad to hear your tang is doing better.

farslayer

Mistake #1: tap water. Don't do it. You have a little tank, go get a cheap RO unit. It will be the best investment you ever made.

krazekajin

I am wanting to get an RO unit. The problem is that my tank is at my office and I don't have a place to put an RO/DI unit. However, I am working on a 90g that will go at my house. Then, I will be able to put an RO/DI at my house.
However, maybe I have just gotten lucky, but my tap water is not too bad. i have tested it.