Nitrate 20 ppm
Then this morning I did another set of tests
temp 79.6
Salinity 1.020
PH 8.2
Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
The salinity is so low because the guy I go ti from had it at 1.019 so I am going to slowly bring it up with water changes and top offs
I will take pictures when I get the rocks the way I want them, every time I try and change them around sand gets everywhere and I can't see anything so thats pretty annoying
the lighting I have is 4 96watt power compacts, will I be able to keep any soft corals under these lights?

deejeff442

if you dont have fish just raise the salt to 1.025 .you wont have a problem with that.mushrooms and polyps are good low light corals.not much else .i am sure when you recover from the cost of the set up you will go to the mh or t5's.most corals like an established tank like 6 months or more anyway.i prerinse sand when i get it .then you dont have the cloudy mess.
also as you will see as you go on testing ph will be different in the morning than in the evening its normal.

C

charmander

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem0981 http:///forum/thread/381599/92-corner-cycling#post_3324929
what size is the tank?
It is a 92 gallon corner tank, its 28inches deep I think, I could be wrong though
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442
http:///forum/thread/381599/92-corner-cycling#post_3324934
if you dont have fish just raise the salt to 1.025 .you wont have a problem with that.mushrooms and polyps are good low light corals.not much else .i am sure when you recover from the cost of the set up you will go to the mh or t5's.most corals like an established tank like 6 months or more anyway.i prerinse sand when i get it .then you dont have the cloudy mess.
also as you will see as you go on testing ph will be different in the morning than in the evening its normal.
Yeah I was wondering why the PH changed
My test results tonight are
Temp 78.6
Salinity 1.020 (Which I will bring up next waterchange)
PH 8.2
Ammonia .10ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
How come my ammonia went down and my nitrite and nitrate didn't?

C

charmander

My test results this afternoon
Temp 80.1
Salinity 1.020
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
any input on why my ammonia made it to 0 while none of my nutrients ever breached 0?
Is this because I bought an established tank and there is no long cycle or do I need to trigger an ammonia spike with a shrimp?

deejeff442

when it was running before you bought it was there any fish in it?ammonia only hangs around for a few days then converts to nitrites which also convert fast but nitrates usually hang around for a while.odd you have no nitrates .its tough to get them to zero on an established tank.if it was from an established tank it really shouldn't have had an ammonia reading .unless you added fish to fast but you didnt.if you had ammonia and now its gone .i would get me a small fish or two.

C

charmander

Yea the tank had been established for something like 7 years
I think the reason it had ammonia was because of die off with the rock
Also I was forced to use tap water because I don't have a RODI yet. I definetly intend on buying one in the near future though.
So I went over to my neighbors house to get the two fish my tank came with and he handed me a large damsel and a clown fish with them
he is breaking down his tank so hes giving all his stuff to me and I don't really know how to say no. will the 4 fish be ok?
the damsel is a domino I just looked it up
so there is a small clown, a small longnose hawkfish, a big damsel and a marine beta.
Im kinda worried
He also wants to give me his rocks which are covered in red slime. (maybe cyno) maybe just red algea I'm not sure.
If I put it in my tank will it spread? The red stuff is only on the top where the light hits I don't know if that helps with the ID

deejeff442

if you dont cover the tank the hawk will jump,betta is hard to get eating.hey free rock with red slime is ok by me.just get a bucket od saltwater and scrub it off .your new tank will get a bloom anyway,90 gallons right? with all that established rock it should be fine just feed sparingly for a while once every other day .

C

charmander

The tank has a cover and a canopy so thats all set, the beta was living in the guys tank for all 7 years so I am under the impression that it eats well.
thanks for all the help!

C

charmander

The fish are in the tank and just about everyone is hiding except the clown fish who has stayed in the front swimming in the current. its really exciting to have fish in the tank already!

deejeff442

i had a betta a long time ago pretty cool fish.also had a longnose for about 20 minutes.put it in the tank and left the house.my wife called twenty minutes later to say he was stuck to the floor.i now have a flame hawk but there dont jump like the longnose does.just test water daily for a week or so.also i would do a 5 gallon water change everyday for a week just to be safe.then you should be good to go.

C

charmander

I did a water test of my tap water with salt, all tests were 0 except ammonia which was .5ppm so I'm not sure waterchanges are a good idea right now
I will go out and buy water from the fish store I guess.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmander http:///forum/thread/381599/92-corner-cycling#post_3325302
I did a water test of my tap water with salt, all tests were 0 except ammonia which was .5ppm so I'm not sure waterchanges are a good idea right now
I will go out and buy water from the fish store I guess.
That would be my suggestion. I'm surprised that your tap water is giving you an ammonia reading, that can't be good for anyone, including humans to be drinking.

C

charmander

I was too, maybe I'll try it again I might have mesed up the test

C

charmander

I also find it kind of odd how I just about always test for 0 with nitrates and always 0 for nitrite

florida joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmander http:///forum/thread/381599/92-corner-cycling#post_3324801
So I set up my new tank yesterday and did a water test last night
temp 80.1
Salinity 1.020
PH 8.0
Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20 ppm
Then this morning I did another set of tests
temp 79.6
Salinity 1.020
PH 8.2
Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm
The salinity is so low because the guy I go ti from had it at 1.019 so I am going to slowly bring it up with water changes and top offs
I will take pictures when I get the rocks the way I want them, every time I try and change them around sand gets everywhere and I can't see anything so thats pretty annoying
the lighting I have is 4 96watt power compacts, will I be able to keep any soft corals under these lights?
ok first things first do you mean you bought the tank AND the water that was in in from your friend

C

charmander

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///forum/thread/381599/92-corner-cycling#post_3325316
ok first things first do you mean you bought the tank AND the water that was in in from your friend
I bought the tank rock and everything from somebody on CL including 50 gallons of the water
Tests today are
Temp 80.1
Salinity 1.020
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate Somewhere between 0 and 5