92 Gal Bow front tank leaking!!!!

fitchguy

Okay all you do it yourselfers? I have a guy that wants to sell me a 92 gallon bowfront tank for a $100, yeah thats great right? The only problem is that he says the tank leaks.
It is a reef ready tank, I was wondering if anybody has ever repaired a leak or I thought that I would have a glass company fix it for me. Does anyone know how much that would be or anything about fixing the tank where it won't leak again?

ninjamini

Dude,
This is such an expensive hobby. There are two things you cant skimp on.
1 The tank. You want to know that your $1000+in corals, fish and time wont end up on a dry sand bed with a flood ruining your floor. Thats expensive.
2. The electrical needs safety. Have surge protectors, and a GFI in place. You dont want your tank to burn up and take your home with it.

hardcrab67

You can reseal the tank.
Cut the silicone out, clean with alcohol and reseal with 100% silicone. I don't recommend a patch, I would replace the length of the seam. Just remember prep is everything. Silicone does not seal(bond) the cured silicone, this must be removed in the seam of the two panels. I use a razor blade(not utility) on a 45 degree angle and make several passes. Be careful not to go too deep(you just want clean glass edges to bond to), but enough to include the bottom panel in the new seal. Mask the two panels w/ tape and seal. Before the seal drys, remove the tape and you'll have clean, professional looking edges.
I personally have not had a tank leak but know its been done and my friend's tank hadn't leaked for 3 yrs before he sold it. I however have worked w/ silicone in construction for waterproofing the same technique is applied in remodeling, Baths, Windows, and Skylights especially.
If you decide not to try it let me know, I'll do it. I need the bigger tank and live in West Point. If you ever want to do some trading or compare notes, give me a shout. ricknann96@verizon.net

phixer

100 bucks is a steal for a bowfront tank like that if the glass is intact. The glass alone is worth it. Depending on the size of the leak you may be able to patch it without completely scraping and re-applying all of the silicone.
Do you know where the leak is emenating from?

grumpygils

Originally Posted by FitchGuy
Okay all you do it yourselfers? I have a guy that wants to sell me a 92 gallon bowfront tank for a $100, yeah thats great right? The only problem is that he says the tank leaks.
It is a reef ready tank, I was wondering if anybody has ever repaired a leak or I thought that I would have a glass company fix it for me. Does anyone know how much that would be or anything about fixing the tank where it won't leak again?

Been there, done that on my 92. Fill it, find the leak, scrape out a few inches on each side. Prep (use acetone or some kind of solvent to degrease), seal overlapping and fill. It is scary but not rocket science.
My 2 cents
Mc

fishnerd

I don't know if this was thought of, but when I worked in a LFS most of the "leaking" reef ready tanks were actually improperly installed bulkheads. It might sound stupid, but it is quite possible that is the problem.

xdave

The best way is to remove all the sealer and replace it. Dont try to "fix the leak". Bow fronts have good frames for this so it shouldn't be that bad. You can get a big tube and gun at Home Depot for less than a little tube at lfs.
fishnerd may be right, people tend to tighten them too far. The water may run down a tube and look like its goming from somewhere else. If the seals or washers are kinda curled up, thats probably it. That'll cost ya about $3 :cheer: