96 watts too much for 10 gallon?

blackhavoc

I came across a 1X96 watt quad 50/50 by coralife for 97 bucks. I'm just wondering is it going to be too much for the 10 gallon I'm setting up on friday. it would be 9.6watts pergallon, my guys are used to 4 watts per gallon. Is it going to bake them? I only have some dusters, a star polyup, and a new zoo colony, a pepermint , 2 turbos, 2blue legs, and an orchid dotty. TIA all.

rkplucker

Nope. I have the 130 watt Coralife Aqualight fixture on my 10 gallon. And I've even seen people with metal halides.
The Quad light is a very popular light on 10 gallons. BTW, Marine and Reef has it for $90.

blackhavoc

No one around here carries it, they can order it but for 130... Hellolights.com has the whole assembly, not just the retrofit for 97 + shipping. Does marine and reef have a web site?

blackhavoc

I saw that price match thing. Hellolights also gives you a free surge protector, and anything for free I'm sold! Espically those, there around 12 bucks anyway. Thanks. Think I'm going to nab it on friday...

R

redhot13

I have the coralife 96 watt hood on my 10 gal... I love the light but my only complaint would be that the light is very white and not enough actinic for me. BE careful if you are upgrading from a lower wattage to propperly acclimate the tank. I didnt and some of my corals still havent opened!
PS- All my LFS tell me that I have "too much light" and my response is always, "you cant ever have too much!"

R

redhot13

Anyone notice, though that there is not enough "blue" light? Does anyone have the new orbit (old csl) PC with moonlight? I would love hear if anyone likes the new light...

blackhavoc

Yeah I've noticed that Coralife's 50/50's arent a true 390-420nm. They are somewhere between 430 and 520nm. The mini 50/50's I have in my hood now are supposed to be 420nm and 10k, its more like 8700K and 480nm. It seems the knock off brand PC's have better phosphors, and are usually cheaper than Coralife's stuff. Hellolights.com has the best generic brand lights I've seen. My buddy has a couple 29g tanks with hellolights exclusive bulbs, and they look 5 times better than the "Same" from Coralife. The 03 actinic is a deeper blue than coralife's stuff, and makes the corals jump out better. laters.