A ~19,000 Gallon Fish Tank

jjgomillion

I cant wait to see this come along. Its is an awesome idea. Like having your own little ocean....ok medium ocean....lol. You could do so much in there.
The anticipation is killing me.....

skate020

oh its a parrot fish, i thought it was a lunare wrasse ahaha.
sorry my bad,
this tank will be awsome when its done:D
must be fun working on something that big:D

nysharkbait

I know the UAE. Spent a few months deployed there. People drive Lamborghinis around there like they're Fords. Place has retarded money. Why does this tank not suprise me being there? Can't wait to see the final product.
For those of you not familiar with the UAE, here are some photos. Dubai is absolutely amazing. And if somebody says something architectural can't be done, the UAE does it....and it's amazing.

nahham

Hello everyone,
I have some minor updates for you. The weather was great today so photos look better than some of the ones I've posted earlier.

The columns are up; now the size of the 3 pieces of glass are visible, around 3 m (~10 ft) each. The glass worker is in the process of taking final measurements for the glass.

A bit of detail on where the glass will fit. The holes inside the columns are for light fixtures.
We expanded the plans for the aquarium with pathways and stuff. Will draw something on Sketchup and post it here ASAP.

E

eric b 125

dubai has the tallest building in the world and an island shaped like a tree. the architectural stuff they do there blows my mind

happyfeet

"I agree that reef fish might be a stretch, but we don't have good suppliers anyway and saltwaterfish don't ship that far and if they did it would be extremely expensive :)"
Your seriously building a 19,000 gallon tank and your worried over the price of shipping?
Just poking fun, Awesome tank! Makes my 55 gal look like a Lego.

maeistero

Thanks for posting these pics nahham. Take as many as possible, I love seeing the very early nuts and bolts of a project of this size.

nahham

Well I just wanted to show how the aquarium changed (plans-wise).

This was the first plan for the aquarium.

This is the detailed column shape and dimensions. As you can see from the photos I previously posted, it looks more or less the same.

This is the current plan we are working towards. A bridge connecting both sides of the aquarium and creating a seating area on top of the aquarium. This plays several roles:[list type=decimal][*]Partially covering the water to protect from direct sunlight and heat. It gets really hot in summer here.
[*]Connect the walkway around the garden.
Create an additional themed seating area.
[/list type=decimal]
This should be done after fixing the fish farm; we have a serious leak there. The two 40,000 g/h are not able to fill the tank to the overflow level.
It will be a bit slow the upcoming week; it's pilgrimage time and we have a 10 day vacation. I will update this as soon as I have something worthy to show.

nahham

Originally Posted by maeistero
http:///forum/post/3178143
Thanks for posting these pics nahham. Take as many as possible, I love seeing the very early nuts and bolts of a project of this size.

I am planning to do just that. It is actually exciting because I had plans for this for a very long time. Actually doing it is like a dream come true.

sean48183

Stunning! I would be in that thing everyday diving around. Plans look awesome. Like the above tank sitting area. Always like looking down at fish on the reef. You have any fish in the fish farm currently? Also what are some of the local fish you get on the reefs there? Have to be some beautiful fish right on the reefs near you.

gill again68

Freaking Wild!
Very nice project. You may want to get the change out of peoples pockets prior to letting them in the upper level. Talk about your copper levels going up.
Example: I walk in and go up top. Pull out some pennies and start wishing.
Wish 1 - I wish this was my tank
Wish 2 - I wish I had a lot of money
Wish 3 - %^&*@*% and #*#^(((@## <---You dont want to write some stuff down!

Watching